Page 2 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: NEW CAGE!!!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:31 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: Erik
Gave happy chirps: 113 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
So, for it to be fresh, do i need to cut it off a tree?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:36 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

JessiMuse wrote:
Is it hanging from something? That could mean bad news if whatever it's hanging on gives out, and it falls.

I will admit, I personally think the cage would be a bit more suited to a pair of budgies, rather than cockatiels, but it does seem ok enough for them to have their personal space.

There are bigger cages at the bird expo with some good prices, so you could get your uncle to find a good cockatiel cage at the expo in October, if you're still not comfortable with the size. Most come with stands, too. :)

I'm telling this to my dad just to see if he reasons up a bit. Before i brought Coco home, i told my dad i needed a cage, so he told me he was gonna buy me one. I relied on him. When i got there, i saw this thing:

So i rushed downtown and got the cilindric cage. I thought it was okay until i read the paper. So i saved up and bought the current

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Yes, it's best to cut a fresh branch off a tree and make the perch right away. If you want to wait until the next day that's OK, but the longer you wait the dryer it will get. If you wait for a month you'll probably have trouble with it.

Look for an area in the middle of the branch that's the size and shape that you want, and cut off a piece of the branch that's big enough to get that part. The outermost end of the branch will usually be too skinny so you'll end up cutting that part off. There will usually be some side branches that you don't want so trim those off too, and if there are any thorns you need to get rid of them.

Branches aren't perfectly straight so they don't always fit in the cage exactly the way you expect them too. I trim off the extra stuff but I leave the part that I want a little bit longer than what I think I'll need so I can make adjustments in the length to get it just right. If I try to cut it to exactly the right size the first time, it always ends up being too short and I have to go cut another branch lol.

If the bark is a little bit rough that's OK, they can have fun chewing on it and it's good for their nails. But you don't want it to be so rough that it's a good hiding place for spiders and dirt. You also don't want it to be too smooth. Manzanita is a good wood for perches but it's very smooth and slippery, and if you use that you need to scuff up the bark so the birds can get a good grip on it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:36 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Thank you. I'll buy the things i need, and then I'll look for a branch :thanks:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:37 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Maybe look for the branch first to make sure you've got a good one available. But don't cut it until you have the supplies.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:57 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Okay! :coolthumb: :tiel-tumbling:

Page 2 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2