Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: NEW CAGE!!!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:52 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: Erik
Gave happy chirps: 113 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
I had this cylindric cage before. But i really didn't knew it wasnt good for them because of a paper Carolyn gave me. It said that "Cylindric cages are undesirable" and it was best to get a squared or rectangular cage. But it was too late when i read it; i had already bought that cylindric cage:

So, later on, i decided I should make a cage, but my plans were frustrated. So, I ended up buying this simple cage:

It cost me about 13 or 15 US dollars. Pretty cheap.

But I have some concerns though; I don't know if it's way too small for two tiels, and also, the doors are too small. There are four doors, but they are tiny, and i almost can't fit anything in there. I mean, you do get what you pay for, right? But I'm mostly concerned for the size, do you think it's large enough?

Post subject: Re: NEW CAGE!!!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:29 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
It's a little small, but definitely not the worst I've seen. Is it possible the divider can be removed for more space?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:01 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

The divider is not on it

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Like Stephanie said, it's a little small but it's reasonable enough if they get along well with each other. If they fight a lot you need more space! More perches would be good too, you can make your own out of natural branches. Do you have mesquite and acacia? Those are good bird-safe trees that grow in the Tucson area that can be used to make perches, although you have to be sure to remove the thorns.

I'm not sure whether they're indoors or outdoors, but it looks like it might be a sheltered outdoor area. I hope that your parents will let you bring them back into the house. That will be more fun for you and them!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:14 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
Is it hanging from something? That could mean bad news if whatever it's hanging on gives out, and it falls.

I will admit, I personally think the cage would be a bit more suited to a pair of budgies, rather than cockatiels, but it does seem ok enough for them to have their personal space.

There are bigger cages at the bird expo with some good prices, so you could get your uncle to find a good cockatiel cage at the expo in October, if you're still not comfortable with the size. Most come with stands, too. :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:14 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

How can i make my own perches?

Oh, sorry, I think we posted at the same time :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:18 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

It's hanging on two nails, I'm thinking i will change it because I'm a bit frightened my self, I'll see if i can get some sort of small table. The only reason why i havent done that, is because i thought that birds like to be in high places, rather than on a table. But im not sure.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Basically you cut a branch that's the right size, drill holes in the ends, and put in screws so you can fasten it to the cage. This article shows the type of hardware you need: http://www.mdvaden.com/bird_perches.shtml

It's not difficult to do if you have the tools and know how to use them. Be sure to use fresh wood not something that's old and dried out. I found out the hard way that if you let the branch dry out before you use it, the wood gets very hard and it's difficult to put the screws in.

The article says to use stainless steel hardware, but my birds don't chew on the hardware so I just use ordinary zinc plated hardware which is easier to find and cheaper too. I also put screws in both ends of the perch so it's more stable, but if one end is narrow sometimes I'll just stick it through the cage bars. The thickness of the branch shouldn't be too skinny or too thick, about 1/2 inch to an inch thick is good. Some parts will naturally be thicker than others. Make sure that it's a kind of wood that is safe for birds to chew on, and wash it well to get rid of dirt and germs.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Birds do like to be in high places, but it needs to be secure. Another alternative would be to install a shelf under the cage to help support it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:27 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
Well, you cut a branch small enough to fit in the cage, take the bark off (or not. Depending on the type of wood), sanding it with sand paper would probably be a good idea, to make the wood smooth and not splintery. and pasically stick it in the cage. Depending on how you want it to fit, you can carve dents on each end deep enough just so the cage bars could help it keep in place. Like this

EDIT: Orrrr... You can look at the article Carolyn just posted. :lol: I'm too slow.

I think Carolyn's suggestion of a shelf would be a nice alternative, as well. That way, they can be secure, AND in a high place. :D

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next