Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Way Too Small Cage Doors
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:58 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: Erik
Gave happy chirps: 113 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
The cage i got for my tiels, has 4 doors. But these are too tiny. When i want to get them out of the cage, it's nearly impossible. My hand and the tiel's body does not fit through that tiny door. .Also, When I Try To Place Something Big In The Cage, It Is Truly Impossible. And I Was Wondering;

What Could I Do To Make A Bigger Door?

I heard Stephanie made her own budgie door bigger. Can i know how you did it?

Thank You!!!! :bigsmile100:

Post subject: Re: Way Too Small Cage Doors
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
It seems to me that the best way to do it would be to buy a very cheap used cage that you can use as a source of spare parts. You would cut away some of the bars in the regular cage to make a bigger door and sand the edges smooth. Then you would cut a piece out of the "spare parts" cage that fits in this opening. When you cut it out, be sure to leave some extra wire at the corners so you can bend it into the sort of hinges or hooks that you want. For example:

If you're lucky you might be able to find an old, cheap cage that has a door that's exactly the right size so you don't have to remodel it yourself. Or it might be possible to find a door that you like online. It's easy to find small doors online (the picture above is from the Ebay auction at http://www.ebay.com/itm/Birdcage-Door-R ... 1336400911 ) but I don't know about bigger doors.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:26 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
I suppose I should have mentioned that the cage I bought was defective, and had extra bits welded on that I just cut with bolt cutters and it worked. Sorry, I forgot to mention that part.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:21 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Does ebay ship world-wide?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ebay is basically a website where a bunch of different sellers come to sell their stuff. So you would have to find a seller who has what you want, and ask them what their shipping policy is.

Prevue Hendryx makes a cage that's similar to yours except the main door is nice and big:

There's a big door in the middle of the front side with a smaller door built into it, so you can choose whether to use the big door (when you're bringing a bird out) or the small door (when you want to do something in the cage but want the birds to stay inside). There are two more small doors on the front for the food cups, and some models have a small door on the side too. There are two sizes, 16x16x24 inches and 18x18x30 inches. I think the smaller size is available for about $20 at the bird marts. The bigger size is $50 on Amazon. http://smile.amazon.com/Prevue-Products ... 001NPX5BC/ I don't know what the price is at the bird marts but it's cheaper than that. So if it would be easier to just get a different cage, you can ask your uncle to look for one at the bird mart. I know there's at least one seller (Lori Lister) who is likely to have it. This is NOT a high quality cage but it's inexpensive and it works very well for cockatiels.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:44 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

It's very nice! Thank you!! I'll tell that to my uncle. I think i saw one of these in his house to keep the new birds in it, but im not sure. I'll ask him. Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:25 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
I actually use one of those cages that Carolyn is talking about, for Lucy (though mine is taller than it is wide). They do work well, and the large center door really comes in handy. :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:34 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
That's my budgies' cage. Be warned, it's a cheap, flimsy cage and the one I got was defective. I cut off some other nubs welded to the bars, and the fact that the door slides up instead of swings out drove me nuts, so I cut one more time and made it swing outward now instead of upward. The bottom grate is bent all out of shape and doesn't sit flat, but rather curves up.

Cheap, but it works.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:43 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

IT SLIDES UPWARDS??!!? Oh god. I guess i'll have to make some mods to it. But, is it worth it? I mean like, is it big enough to fit 2 cockatiels??

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:16 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The bigger size would be best for two cockatiels, but the smaller size would work if they're good friends and get a lot of out of cage time.

"Cheap and flimsy" is a good description of it, but it's a useful, practical cage all the same. It can be folded up to lie flat when you're not using it, and I have some extras that I keep in the garage and set up when I need them.

The door slides upward, and then you can tilt it so it stays in the open position. When it's in this position I use a safety pin to secure the bottom of the door to the main cage so it can't be accidentally knocked out of position and come crashing down. If you look carefully you might be able to see it in the pictures that are coming up.

I also put a rope perch on the outside of the cage that the birds can use as a "porch" when they're coming in and out of the cage. You can also make a perch from a curved branch to do the same thing.

The door is big enough that I can easily bring Dweezil through it on my hand. I didn't use any actual birds in this picture because I figured they wouldn't be too happy about the camera, but you can see how big the door is compared to my fist.

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next