Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Harness vs. Flight suit
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:11 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
So I'm thinking of getting Lucy either a harness, or a flight suit. There are some ups and down to both, and I can't decide if I should get one, the other, or both.

The flight suit looks rather easy to put on, however the harness looks slightly lighter, and could possibly be a bit more comfortable, once Lucy's used to it.

The harness has one size for cockatiels, and can be adjusted as Lucy grows, but she could easily get tangled.

The flight suit could be useful when taking her to shops, and such, so store owners don't have to worry about her pooping everywhere, however it gets REALLY hot in the summer, and she might overheat with it on.

I saw the aviator harness on sale at a pet store in my area, couple months back. It's not on sale now, though hopefully they still sell it, at least. Not sure if they sell the flight suits, though.

So regarding the aviator harness...
Pros:
adjustable size
longer leash
availability

cons:
possible applying difficulty
potty training required(?)
tangle risk

Now regarding the flight suit...
Pros:
good for indoor usage
safer(?)
easier

cons:
Overheating
lack of availability(?)
size confusion

Any thoughts on this?

Post subject: Re: Harness vs. Flight suit
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:18 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
I've never used either one so I can't comment. Overheating might not actually be too much of an issue since she's basically wearing a down jacket already and this might not add much heat retention to it. A flight suit might prevent her from fluffing her feathers up when she wants to stay warm. But when birds are too hot they hold their feathers tight to the body and pant, and a flight suit wouldn't interfere with that. Misting a hot bird with water helps cool it down and you could do that with a flight suit on.

I'm not sure how many shops would actually let you in with a bird, but I see more and more people taking dogs into stores so maybe you could get away with it. I suspect that most of them are NOT service animals.

You can buy flight suits and harnesses online, and the price might be cheaper than a pet shop.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:33 pm 
Banned
Banned

Name: Brandon
Gave happy chirps: 28 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
I would get both I have both and I never had any tangling problems with the harness and its great for flying in the park if you attach it to a longer leash and the flightsuit is great for Shopping trips or Family visits.Rocko and Loki havent been kicked out of any shop so far we have gone to so many.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:28 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
I wondered which to purchase and went for the harness...
I have stiff arthritic fingers.... I watched the video twice with a stuffed toy in front of me... I practised on this....
I put the harness on with no trouble...
I put it on Obi every day for about a week... he didn't bother in the least about it....
I can get it on quite fast now....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:28 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

I was thinking somewhere along the lines of pet stores and general pet-friendly stores (stores that aren't pet stores, but will sell pet supplies, and allows people to bring their pets). Heck, I know PetSmart isn't picky about which animal comes in (unless if it's an alligator or crocodile). Just the other day, I saw a dude with a python around his neck. :lol: Glad I didn't have Lucy with me, that time.

I'm sure you haven't had any tangling problems, but I remember that B's conure got strangled in one, and he had to cut him free. I don't want to have something like that happen to Lucy. I do appreciate the input, though. :) I don't think there are a lot of pet friendly stores. Most restaurants don't allow animals, unless if they're registered service animals. I don't think grocery stores would appreciate a parrot near the fruits and vegetables, either (because we all know how farmers don't). I know of a few places that would allow her though. :)

Thans Jan. I might consider the harness, for outdoor usage, at least. Lucy gets so interested when she sees everything going on outside through the window, so I wonder what she'll think once she's actually outside. Probably scared at first, considering she would be easy prey to a hawk if left unattended. Have you taken him anywhere, yet? How does he like being able to go places with you?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:06 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

No I've not taken Obi outside.... I don't think I ever will have faith in the harness and leash... cant say why.. I just don't... I wanted Obi to go in one just incase I had to use it in an emergency... around where I live there are a lot of birds of prey....I wouldn't take Obi to a shop, supermarket etc.... as I'm sure it isn't allowed here...
I'm beginning to think its a fad like lots of other things... they say its impossible to loose your bird... but dogs on leads get away... why not a bird...
Obi is a house bird and that's how he will stay....I'll know he will be as safe as I can keep him...
Good luck I hope it works for you...
( I'm sure there will be posts now saying I've got it all wrong) LOL.... maybe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:58 am 
Banned
Banned

Name: Brandon
Gave happy chirps: 28 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
Jan wrote:
No I've not taken Obi outside.... I don't think I ever will have faith in the harness and leash... cant say why.. I just don't... I wanted Obi to go in one just incase I had to use it in an emergency... around where I live there are a lot of birds of prey....I wouldn't take Obi to a shop, supermarket etc.... as I'm sure it isn't allowed here...
I'm beginning to think its a fad like lots of other things... they say its impossible to loose your bird... but dogs on leads get away... why not a bird...
Obi is a house bird and that's how he will stay....I'll know he will be as safe as I can keep him...
Good luck I hope it works for you...
( I'm sure there will be posts now saying I've got it all wrong) LOL.... maybe

Aw its so happy how you want to keep him safe and it is possible to loose your bird the leash could get tangled in something and snap and scare your bird off a lot of things could happen Rocko and Loki are not outside much they are mostly in shops lol.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:58 pm 
Previous owner
Previous owner

Name: Melissa
Gave happy chirps: 142 times
Got happy chirps: 69 times
I plan on getting a slight suit. You can get ones made of waem or kight material.
But ill also take him around in my carrier which he can see out yet be safe from predictors. .

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:53 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

I think the carry case is by far the best option...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:51 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Well yeah, I'd go for the carrier in car rides. If there were an accident, I think the little animal with hallow bones would be the most affected, if not in a carrier or held on by something.

But if anything, I would mainly use the harness for bringing her with me into the yard, and on outdoor walks, and if I were to get a flight suit, then probably to trips to the pet store.

I might end up getting both. I recently went to the pet store that sells the harness, and they were having a sale. However, they only had two sizes in stock. XL, and XXL. Obviously, those wouldn't fit Lucy, so I would have to go back once they restock.

As for the flight suit... Well, maybe that can go on the Christmas list.

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next