All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Light in the house
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:23 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
The Fall arrived, and my birds spend less time outside. Our house is very dark and rather depressive.
I do have one Feather Brite bulb installed in a regular floor lamp fixture. I am not even sure if it's OK to use it this way.
There is no overhead light in the living room where birds spend most of the time. It's a mystery to me why many US houses don't have a good light in the living room ceiling. I've got an idea to remove ceiling fan and install ceiling light instead. I hope it would be possible.
Any other ideas of how to make living room brighter? I have floor lamps here and there but they don't help much. I mean it's not dark, but it doesn't give any energizing feelings.

Post subject: Re: Light in the house
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:38 am 
Banned
Banned

Name: Brandon
Gave happy chirps: 28 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
Chipper wrote:
The Fall arrived, and my birds spend less time outside. Our house is very dark and rather depressive.
I do have one Feather Brite bulb installed in a regular floor lamp fixture. I am not even sure if it's OK to use it this way.
There is no overhead light in the living room where birds spend most of the time. It's a mystery to me why many US houses don't have a good light in the living room ceiling. I've got an idea to remove ceiling fan and install ceiling light instead. I hope it would be possible.
Any other ideas of how to make living room brighter? I have floor lamps here and there but they don't help much. I mean it's not dark, but it doesn't give any energizing feelings.

Is fall winter or Autumn? Its very bright and sunny here in Ireland lately.It is dark in my bedroom where the birds are because my window is at the back of the house and the sun is at the front.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:43 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Fall is Autumn. It doesn't matter, the house is a problem. Everybody who visits me, starts out saying "this house is so dark". Climate is sunny here, but not much light penetrates inside the house.
During the summer I was taking birds outside for 2-3 hours in the morning, and their energy was high enough for the rest of the day. Now it's getting too cold in the morning.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:14 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
If you want to redo the light fixtures in the house, one option is to install a ceiling fan that has a light fixture attached to it. Another option would be to install track lighting on the ceiling.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:13 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

thanks! why not just one ceiling light?
We don't use fan with birds anyway. The outlet (electricity connector, whatever it's called) should be the same for fan and light, I hope

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:30 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
You could have just one ceiling light if you wanted to.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:30 am 
Egg
Egg

Name: Rhonda
Gave happy chirps: 14 times
Got happy chirps: 1 time
One light may be fine, if that's what you would like to do. I am also I the U.S. and there really are a lot of homes with terrible lighting and too few windows, my home is one of those houses. I use a lamp as well as a ceiling fan with a three-light fixture. Of course, the fan isn't running when the birds are out inside the house. I find that draping the curtains around the birds for an hour or so will help sort of focus the natural light inside their cage without losing lighting to the inside of the house. It seems to help mine on days when it is cold or overcast. Just an idea.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:14 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

sonomama wrote:
I find that draping the curtains around the birds for an hour or so will help sort of focus the natural light inside their cage without losing lighting to the inside of the house. It seems to help mine on days when it is cold or overcast. Just an idea.
thanks, but I am having a hard time figuring out what you mean. Could you say it differently please?

I bought a 3 light fixture that supposed to be attached to the bottom on the ceiling fan. Now It will take me another year to figure out how to wire it together :)

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]