Page 2 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Question to People who use Leashes
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:48 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: Erik
Gave happy chirps: 113 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
Oh I'm leaving on Wednesday and arriving on Thursday morning, hopefully :bliss100:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:09 pm 
Banned
Banned

Name: Brandon
Gave happy chirps: 28 times
Hmm $8 thats too cheap for such a beautiful bird who needs good care any young person who knows nothing about these magnificent creatures could buy one for $8 so its actually a good thing these birds are not cheap.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:25 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
I wanna buy a bird in Mexico. :lol:

That's an Amazon though, and they require quite a lot of care. Much more care than some cockatiels. Not to mention they're a lot bigger, and louder. They would need a LOT more cage space, and would take more to make sure they're happy and healthy. If someone was seriously selling one for that cheap, I would be going through a full background check to make sure it was in good health and all that.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:09 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Availability of birds isn't the same in all countries. Lilac crowns are fairly rare in the US and not too many people breed them, and the import restrictions are severe so there's not an easy way to get more. But they're native to Mexico, and I don't know how diligent the government is about protecting native species.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:45 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

I don't know if Mexico is way too conservative, but they do take care for many of their native species. There is a problem though; the Half Moon conure is probably in danger because they don't breed in captivity, just like Quetzal. But there are soooo many conures and breed so much that the natives just take them and give them a price. Since most of the people here don't know much about birds, the prices usually stay very low. But doing so, is illegal. If you get caught selling them, they take them away and put them back on the wild and charge you like 20 dollars (of course, in pesos). The bad thing is that people bribe the authorities by giving them more money and staying with the birds. And so the chain goes on.

You may think it's a bad thing that people don't know much about birds because these are lives and take a lot of work and have so many needs, and in fact you're right, but imagine if these people knew that these animals were worth more, my assumption is that they'd take more birds away and put them at higher prices causing extinction. I believe that if we stay how we are, people will just look at them as just talking birds and look at them like they're something common, they might eventually just stop and everybody will be happy. Ignorance is so high here, so talking about them makes you look like a weirdo, and doing so won't stop the people from doing what they're doing.

It's sad I personally know it since I've been struggling with my own parents to show them that birds are more than what everybody here believes they are. But little by little, it looks like they've started to accept them and are starting to see the potential these have.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:52 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

JessiMuse wrote:
I wanna buy a bird in Mexico. :lol:

My uncle wants to come and buy a toucan. He's not sure about the price, but they are definitely way more cheaper here then in the U.S.
He says he would go through that 60 day observation trial to see if they are going to let him keep the bird, or if they're gonna destroy it. GORE.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:32 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
Aviator harness on ebay...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:40 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Toucans are VERY expensive in the US, and it's difficult to keep them alive because they have special needs. They're very sensitive to iron in the diet and will easily develop iron storage disease (hemachromatosis) if you aren't very very careful about what you feed them. I don't know whether a quarantine station could take proper care of them. They're difficult to breed in captivity too. But they are spectacular birds with funny personalities.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:15 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Hmmm, I think he knows that because before he buys a bird, he researches a lot about them, but I'll tell him to see if he knew or had anything planned.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:11 am 
Banned
Banned

Name: Brandon
Gave happy chirps: 28 times
The pet store I go to had a Toucan for 40 years actually I think it was 14 years and it just dropped dead one day along with a Green wing Macaw and on the same day so they must have been sick and they were housed next to each other so its possible one of them got the sickness from one another.

Page 2 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next