Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Getting a new cage soon
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:08 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
So we've been looking at cages for the tiels for quite a while now. After my mom discovered that cages were cheaper on amazon than they are in pet stores, she suddenly felt it was best to find one online (usually my parents are against buying anything online).

Additionally, the credit card company my parents use has this system where if you use it, they give you "points" to use on Amazon to take some of the money off.

So we ended up getting this cage:

The way it's designed should be able to keep the mess down. Not to mention that this cage is overall bigger than their current cage so they'll have a lot more space.

I'll have to put more bowls in it since there are only two, but that shouldn't be a problem. There are stainless steal bowls I can get that come with holders to put on the cage bars.

My diamond dove Joey and my mom's finch will be put in the tiels' current cage, which is much bigger than their own.

It should arrive next Monday. :D

Post subject: Re: Getting a new cage soon
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:04 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
Obi's cage is very similar to that one....
I took the apron off as I k e Ptolemy banging
it into the wall and chipping it....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:59 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
That's a nice one!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:12 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

So the cage came in yesterday. Got it set up and the birds moved in, and I will tell you: it's REALLY nice.

Putting together was a pain because a few of the parts were bent? The box wasn't in perfect condition when it got here so it might've been damage done along the way. It wasn't anything a pair of pliers couldn't fix though.

The width and depth is exactly the same as their old cage but there's more height, so I can spread out the perches more and give more space. I think I need about one or two more perches more so I can put at least two of the toys in a better place, however.

I used the two stainless steel bowls for water since they're easy to clean, and plastic cups that hang on the side of the cage for food. This will make it harder to change the food, yes, but it's better than having them fight over the water bowl... Plus I've managed to set it up so they can't poop in them by accident (that's a problem I've had in the old cage, specifically with Alex. He'd always stand on them with his tail over them).

The water bowls are big enough for them to get in it, so what to they do? They both take a bath in them of course. :lol: They are both soaking wet and appear to be happy with themselves right now. I know for a fact that they appreciate the extra space too (there are times where they can't stand being next to each other), so all is well. :)

Their old cage is now Joey and the finch's current cage. They also appear to really enjoy all the space as well, since it's a HUGE step up from their old cage.

The only one without a new cage is Dudley now, whose cage is actually a decent size for him. Of course, a bigger cage would always be nice for him, but that's a future plan for a future time.

I'll have pictures soon. :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Using the water bowl to make cockatiel soup is a time-honored tradition with my flock. What's funny about it is how sludgy the water looks afterwards. The birds are dirtier than they look!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:32 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Glad you like the cage and that the birds have
settled in well....
I use a lot of plastic hanging cup for seed/veggies/nuts etc.
What I find most awkward is fixing the large cuttlefish in cages....
Any ideas?
I do resort to using clothes pegs most of the time

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:03 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The bar spacing makes it hard to use the ordinary metal holder that comes with the cuttlebone. My solution is to put the cuttlebone in cages with easy spacing and let the birds have free range lol.

Another solution is to tie the holder against the bars using a twistie but the results aren't very satisfactory. You can buy plastic cuttlebone holders but it's very easy for the bird to pull the cuttlebone out.

Here's a clever solution where someone drilled a small hole through it and used a piece of wire and a bead to hold it in place. I think I might try this. Using two holes in different parts of the cuttlebone would make it more stable.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:34 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Thanks will look into this ty

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:38 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Yes, they have settled in quite well. Although Alex seems confused by the grate. :lol: She goes down there and just kinda stares at the tray below it, trying to figure out how he can get down there.

I put their playstand on top the cage too so they can just hang out on top of it. It makes things easier than having them on the table. They like to fly over to me when they want to so I'm not complaining. Wouldn't hurt to teach Alex to be a little more independent, after all. :)

It doesn't get rid of the mess completely. Somehow the food can bounce off the edge of the seed guard and end up further. However it does appear to be working. It takes but a few days for the floor to be covered in birdseed, but it hasn't gotten nearly as bad as it would by now.

And given they have the habit of ripping up the newspaper, it's convenient that they can't get to it now. :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:09 pm 
Previous owner
Previous owner

Name: Melissa
Gave happy chirps: 142 times
Got happy chirps: 69 times
Looks great

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]