Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Bird Proofing windows?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:40 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
I was trying to find ways I could possibly make windows more visible for Lucy. She seems to be good at avoiding them for now (our windows aren't exactly "clean" though), but I'd like to still make the house safer for her, and my mom likes to arrange the curtains in decorative way, and that can be come a hassle to undo and redo them every day. On top of that, we do occasionally get wild birds that hit the window (mainly doves), so I was seeing if I could find some good stickers.

I found these cool stickers that look transparent to us, though they're much more visible to birds, and it's also a lot cheaper than buying special "bird safe glass" I found earlier. Customer reviews look promising, though there are only a few who had some difficulty putting them up, and some were too lazy to follow the rules for applying and wondered why they didn't work. My main concern is the fact that there are a LOT of windows in my house, and only 4 per pack.

I'd like some extra opinions though. Would you think these worth it? If so, would you think it could work both ways to keep inside birds from hitting the window? (or at least worth putting them on the inside so my bird doesn't fly into them) Let me know what you think. :)

Post subject: Re: Bird Proofing windows?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:38 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
Stickers sounds good...
I just close the blinds...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:49 am 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
I've heard of those. They're cool. The reason they look different to birds is because birds can see ultraviolet light.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:51 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
I think those stickers have to be outside to really work, because that's where the UV light is. Indoors it would look pretty much the same to birds as it does to us.

Birdproofing a window is mostly about indicating that there's a solid barrier here, and the appearance of the material you use doesn't matter as long as the bird can see it and it isn't a turnoff for the humans. You could use any kind of stickers or decals, or even duct tape or masking tape, and put it on the window. But it needs to be no more than 2 to 4 inches apart, to create the impression of a solid barrier. Even then it might not work 100% of the time. Squeebis is my most talented flyer, and he can fly through a door that's open two inches wide. He just closes his wings as he glides through the opening, then resumes flapping.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:55 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
tielfan wrote:
Squeebis is my most talented flyer, and he can fly through a door that's open two inches wide. He just closes his wings as he glides through the opening, then resumes flapping.
I imagined this LOL
I just realized that this particular UV decals are meant for wild birds

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:07 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, there are a variety of anti-bird strike products on the market but they're all aimed at preventing wild birds from crashing into the windows. That's a much more common problem than birds INSIDE the house hitting the glass.

Most of the outdoor birds that hit my windows are being pursued by a hawk. They don't pay much attention to anything that I put on the windows to keep them from trying to fly through.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:00 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
Well what I'm wondering, was that if I put them on the INSIDE, would Lucy be able to see them? It's actually been a long time since a bird has hit the windows. Either they're dirty enough to see, or just it's just the hummingbird feeders in the way or something?

Is there a difference between how parrots see UV and how other birds see UV?

I have very limited option to what I can do with the windows, since I don't own the house. If I were, I'd keep the curtains closed during the day while my birds are out.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:16 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

As far as I know parrots see UV the same way other birds do. The issue with UV decals is that UV is pretty much nonexistent indoors so there won't be an UV reflectance for the bird to look at unless you install a full spectrum light that's got UV. Full spectrum lights are a complicated issue and a lot of them DON'T provide UV. I've got a big article on it at http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/i ... hting.html if anyone wants to know more.

I have a Feather Brite full spectrum light in the bird room to provide UVA for visual enrichment. I don't rely on it to provide UVB for vitamin D purposes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:36 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

tielfan wrote:
Most of the outdoor birds that hit my windows are being pursued by a hawk. They don't pay much attention to anything that I put on the windows to keep them from trying to fly through.
if it's as serious as a hawk, you should keep your windows open for them with a "Welcome" sign... I am kidding but seriously I think - poor birdies..
what happens after they hit your window being chased by a hawk? the worst scenario?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:39 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

tielfan wrote:

I have a Feather Brite full spectrum light in the bird room to provide UVA for visual enrichment. I don't rely on it to provide UVB for vitamin D purposes.
where did you install the bulb? I have one, but I installed it in a regular floor lamp fixture so I am not sure it it's any beneficial. DO you know if those need to be replaced from time to time?

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next