It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:13 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hormones!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:30 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Gave happy chirps: 15 times
Got happy chirps: 74 times
Piper and Emma have been very hormonal. Emma laid four eggs, incubated them, gave up, and three weeks later is laying again.

Piper mates with both Emma and Winter, whenever either one of them will allow it.

It is interesting because Piper had a period of adolescence, then got over it, and didn't mate with anyone for more than a year. Now, it is like he is adolescent all over again.

I don't have any paper in the cage, I have them on fourteen hour nights, with a dark cover over the cage. It is true that about a week ago I was kind of off schedule, and probably had the bird cages uncovered one or two hours more than I usually would. And, about a month of two ago I tried putting paper back into the bottom of the cage (because it is easier for me), but I immediately stopped doing that when Emma started laying. However, I guess they still could be having the effects of that.

Other ideas? Or, just continue with the program and wait and see?

Post subject: Re: Hormones!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
You can keep on trying with the hormone control, although it's less likely to work if she's already laying eggs. And try to keep her from mating with anyone because that will just stir up her hormones more. Piper is your budgie boy, right? You don't have to worry about him fertilizing any cockatiel eggs.

Post subject: Re: Hormones!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:19 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Gave happy chirps: 15 times
Got happy chirps: 74 times
Yes, Piper is my male budgie. I am trying to get sPiper and Winter (female budgie) into the smaller cage to keep them apart. I haven't been strong minded enough to stick to it. I feel bad for him being stuck in the cage. He paces back and forth on the perch. Perhaps I should put the smaller cage in the other room. I will try that today, if I can get him and Winter into it together.

Thank you for your help!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]