Page 3 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Egg laying advice needed
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:02 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
Thank u Carolyn.
We have warmer weather, i let her stay there overnight without being worried about drafts from the front door (shes on the floor level). Its not super convenient for us but we will be ok. I may completely remove that piece of furniture when shes done with this clutch.
She has 3 eggs, all been boiled by me but im still a little worried about possibility to hatch. Its even not easy to candle eggs because now parents r there all the time.
My daughter, who is 15, said that what i do is so rude !
I'm also concerned that Bella's body may be hurting from sitting on a hard surface for hours. Its just wooden cubby where i put one layer of paper. Should i add anything else there?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 721 times
If the eggs have been boiled there is no way they can hatch. Personally I wouldn't do anything to make this area more comfortable or convenient, because that just encourages her to lay more eggs when this clutch fails to hatch. You said "parents" which makes it sound like you're letting the male sit there too. This will also encourage them to have another clutch, because incubation by both parents is part of the normal nesting process. It would really be better to remove the nest and change the area so that neither bird can sit there, and don't let them use a different place as a nest either. The expected hatch date is coming up soon, and if you don't do something to prevent it you're likely to have more eggs in another week or two.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 721 times
This might seem unkind, but at this point the most effective way to break this cycle is probably to remove the eggs, change the area so no bird can sit there, and put the hen in a separate cage in an unfamiliar room for a few days so she can't see the other birds. Especially not her mate. She will not be happy, but the disruption should get her out of breeding mode. Then monitor the situation when you put her back with the rest of the flock. Maybe put the male in a different room too (not with her) so that he will also not be in the mood for romance. If you see hormonal behavior when everything goes back to normal, you'll need to try to prevent it from escalating to the point that she starts laying eggs again.

Page 3 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3