Ring neck 
 Cockatiel  
 Budgies 
 Parrot 
 Macaw 
 Others 
You may select 1 option

View results

Post subject: What mutation of budgie is this?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:27 pm 
Finch
Finch

Gave happy chirps: 12 times
Got happy chirps: 0 time
Sorry I can't post a pix but my budgie is yellow with a light green splotch on her stomach and some little gray splotches on her wings and a few on her back so what's this mutation she has black eyes and pink feet and her tail feather is blackish at the tip.
? and :?: she has VERY FEW stripes around her head I'm confused I did look at the mutation article and try to find a bird similar to mines so far no match the Img might not work though. I read the How to post a pix article but umm I don't think my parents let especially IF you need to pay.

Thank You!
IMG0050.jpg

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: What mutation of budgie is this?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Budgie mutations are definitely not my specialty! But I'll take a guess. Yellow with a light green splotch sounds like pied, and it's possible that it's a special kind of green not normal green. The grey splotches on the wings might be opaline. If you go to http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/i ... udgie.html and scroll down you'll see some pictures of opaline birds, and pied birds too. It's possible for one bird to have several different mutations, and it sounds like your bird is opaline pied and maybe more.

These mutations occur in other species too. Pip in my signature is whiteface pied. Ladybug is pearl, which is what the opaline mutation is called in cockatiels.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:39 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hmmm... looking at the budgie pictures some more, maybe your bird is heavy pied rather than opaline. Heavy pied is when more than half the feathers that would normally be colored are "clear". If there are pied feathers on the wings, the normal feathers will look like little islands of dark color.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:01 pm 
Finch
Finch

Her wings look similar to the recessive pied and the opaline will very little only like 2 splotches
THANKS That REAL :D LY helps!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Here's a bit of bird mutation trivia for you. Whiteface in cockatiels is equivalent to the blue mutation in other parrot species. Parrots have two color pigments: there's melanin, which really produces brown, black, and grey, but there's a visual trick that makes it look blue in many parrot species. Melanin is the only color pigment that mammals have.

Parrots also have psittacofulvin (aka psittacin), which produces yellow, red and orange. When you mix yellow with blue you get the normal green color of many parrots species. When a mutation gene prevents the yellow color from being produced, the bird will have blue in the places that are normally green and white in the places that are normally yellow.

But cockatiels don't have any blue coloring, and most of their yellow is on the face. When you take the yellow out of a cockatiel you get a bird with a white face and no blue color. So it's usually called whiteface, but occasionally you'll see people talk about a Blue cockatiel. I wish they came in that color!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:24 pm 
Finch
Finch

interesting trivia! But I don't think Melanin occurs to cat because they can come in white, tan, and some other colors except blue of course "I wish they came in that color" lol

PS I'm also CRAZY about cats!!! I actually have stray cats in my backyard! for 2 years in the new house and I guess 1-4 in my old house but in the new house there are KITTENS!! They ALL have names :
Tiny ( the only she and is small)
Pouncy ( he is small and likes to play + black nose)
Munchy (he use to LOVE to eat )
Jaggy( he has a coat like a wildcat and his face reminds me of a jaguar)
Lucky(well I was desperate on naming him so I made up randomly)
Blizzard ( he's a cutie! Lynx-point siamese)
They are all tabbies and their mom is a tabby but sadly she disappeared when they were about 5 months. Now they're 7 months all pretty healthy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wow, that's a lot of cats! I like cats and used to have pet cats when I was a kid, but I don't have them now.

Cats do have melanin. Melanin can produce a tawny yellow color and reddish-brown colors which are fairly common in mammals. But it can't produce the really bright yellows and reds that you see in birds. You need a different pigment for that.

White is actually the absence of color pigments. With a lot of parrot species, the way to get an all-white bird is to have two mutations that each remove one color pigment. The lutino gene gets rid of the melanin (Teela and Mims in my signature are lutinos). The blue (aka whiteface) gene gets rid of the yellow, orange and red (Shodu and Pip are whiteface). Snowy is a whiteface lutino; she has no melanin pigment and no psittacin pigment, so her whole body is completely white. Her feet look pink and her eyes look red, but that's actually the color of her red blood cells showing through.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:45 am 
Finch
Finch

Cool! I never had a cat nor dog only a betta fish named Blaze who died last year and Sunshine my budgie she's still here chirping with Kaylee.

PS an a budgie groom another budgie's feet? Because Kaylee keeps doing that every now and then I have to say Bad or Stop or Bad girl not loud but just stern only when she scares or hurts Sunshine. My mom just say don't fight or I'll fight you in Vietnamese but she doesn't really mean just wants them to stop fighting they stop instantly XD
Oh I'm Vietnamese too but English is my 1st language

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:31 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pecking at the feet is a fighting move so you and your mother have the right idea lol. Budgies groom each other's head and neck, but putting a beak anywhere else on the body is usually an act of aggression.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:55 pm 
Finch
Finch

I also noticed that when I'm not in the room they're not loud and aggressive but when I am they chirp and fight? Just before I gt the laptop, they started staring in one spot then the other are they looking at some sort of ghost or spirit ? The house I'm living in, the house's owner died. My brother is always acting paranoid too

Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next