Page 3 of 4 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: my cockatiel has laid first egg ater 10 days of mating help
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Any eggs that are leaking should be discarded. It's possible that some of the eggs might be fertile but are too new to show signs of fertility. It takes about five days of incubation for blood vessels to be visible, and an egg that was laid three days ago wouldn't show the signs yet. When you candle the eggs, the yolk should be floating more or less in the middle of the egg so I'm not sure why it's off to the side with yours. I think you said before that the parents were turning the eggs.

Dispose of any eggs that are leaking and let her keep the rest. It's possible that some or all of them might start showing signs of fertility later on. Even if they don't, having eggs to sit on will keep her from starting another clutch right away, and will give her some experience in taking care of eggs.

It's definitely odd that eggs are getting broken, and it's possible that it wasn't accidental. If any more eggs break it's likely that one of the parents is doing it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:07 am 
Egg
Egg

Gave happy chirps: 0 time
Got happy chirps: 0 time
First chick hatched today the birds both come and go in the cage put bread sweet corn and millet spray , the chick is one side of the nest and she sits on the eggs , will they feed him or what should I do , no feed at home , go and get some baby food stage 1 and hand feed , or should I wait , how can I know they are feeding the chick , what feed to go for home made
Any recommendations
Can I handle the chick any advice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:57 pm 
Egg
Egg

The male is sitting on the chick is moving it around now it's in the centre , does it mean that they will feed the chick as well , or should I

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Right after hatch the chick is still absorbing the yolk that it absorbed while it was still inside the egg, so it may be up to 12 hours before the parents feed it and that is normal. When they do start feeding it the baby will make little cheeping sounds, so everything is probably fine if you hear that sound. During the first week it's very difficult to get a glimpse of the baby because the parents will sit almost nonstop, but take a look at the baby's crop if you get the chance. If the baby has been fed there will be a small white bump at the base of the throat which is food in the baby's crop. In the beginning the parents don't feed very much. Some parents ramp up the feeding sooner and some do it later, but within a few days they'll be stuffing the baby's crop so full that it'll be bigger than the baby's head. When the oldest baby is about a week old the parents will start spending most of their time outside the nest, and it will be easier to inspect the babies then.

Newborns instinctively seek warmth so you'll usually find them clustered with the eggs under mom or dad. They'll back away from the cluster to deposit their poop (usually at the side wall of the nest box) but then they'll come back. Once in a while a baby will get lost on its way back to the cluster, so if you see a baby that's off by itself you should pick it up carefully and put it back where it belongs. Babies that don't find their way back can get chilled and die, but here's a helpful hint just in case you ever need it: if you ever find a baby that's cold and looks dead, try to warm it up. Sometimes a baby that looks dead is still alive and can be revived if it's warmed up in time.

Congratulations on the successful hatch! How many more eggs do you have?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:10 pm 
Egg
Egg

thanks ,
have got 3 more eggs to go ,but they are darker in colour with an air sac at one end ,this was white which hatched .
was getting worried as the crop was empty and the baby was making chirping sounds and it was in the other corner ,
as time passed by they have started to feed the chick at around 1200 midnight ,it hatched at around 2-3 pm .
and yes its making a chirping noise i have picked the top and saw them feeding the chick ,the dad and later mother ,
went to pets at home ,but they did not had any formula ,
now going to give some sprouts ,rice ,pasta ,fruit to the parents so that they can feed the chicks
i have take some paper towels out of the box which were dirty ,thrown the egg shell out of the nest ,
how often do i need to clean the nest ,there are still 3 eggs in the nest ,
do i replace the paper towels after wiping the sides of the nest if it has poo ,
i tried to hang a new feeding bowl in the cage they will not go near that ,i did put a small try on the floor from which they are eating ,corn ,wholemeal bread ,cereal ,
also putting some sliced banana but they are not eating that ,
thanks

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's great that they're feeding the baby now! Continue to keep an eye on the situation though, because first time parents can't always figure out what they're supposed to do.

Don't be surprised if they won't eat fruit. Most cockatiels don't like it, although they seem to accept apple a little better than other fruits. Veggies are more nutritious anyway so fruit isn't really necessary. If the parents will eat leafy greens, chard (silverbeet) is an excellent breeding food.

It's normal for the eggs to have an air sac at one end, and if the air sac has tilted it's a sign that the egg is getting ready to hatch. It's also fairly normal at this stage for them to look fairly dark inside when candled because the embryo is filling up most of the space and light doesn't pass through it well. If the shell has turned a dark color that might be a sign that it's DIS (dead in shell). But I've also heard that the shell will sometimes darken somewhat shortly before hatch, so leave them in for now and hope for the best.

You don't actually have to clean the nest at all if you don't want to - the parent birds don't do any cleaning in the wild and it's normal for the babies to grow up surrounded by their own droppings. It's thought that this might actually help strengthen their immune systems. But if you don't like the mess it's perfectly fine to clean the nest, in whatever degree is satisfactory to you. I clean the nestbox about once every other day starting when the oldest chick is about a week old. The mess isn't too bad before that, plus the parents are occupying the nest full time up to that point so it's hard to clean without causing a major disruption.

When I clean the nest, I put the parents in a different cage, take the babies out of the nest and put them in a bowl lined with wood shavings, scrape the sides of the box with a piece of stiff cardboard to knock off most of the poo, scoop out the dirty litter (the top layer, there's no need to replace everything in the box), put in some fresh litter, return the chicks, and let the parents back in. I don't try to get every molecule of poop because they'll be making more in a few minutes anyway. Some people wipe the sides of the box with water but I don't, because I'm concerned that the moisture will encourage the growth of bacteria and other nasties. Some people will use a disinfectant but I don't, because I think it's unnecessary and not good for their immune system.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:48 am 
Egg
Egg

Sad news the mother died yesterday , very upset still 3 more eggs to hatch the baby is now 4 days old , the dad is sitting in the eggs and feeding the baby chick , was told that the mother secrete some milk which makes the chicks healthy ,
In feeding the cock boiled rice bought some beaphar extravital vital premium food which has egg food in it which I'm giving , can't find any formula here ,
What to feed the cock so the chick is healthy
Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

OMG I'm so sorry. Do you know what went wrong with the mother?

Both parents can feed the babies equally well so the baby won't suffer from having only a father to take care of it. You'll need to watch the situation though to make sure he keeps feeding and warming the baby. When one of the parents is lost it might disturb the other one to the point that they give up on the babies after a few days. But some birds have raised babies without any help at all so hopefully he will stay dedicated to this chick.

From what I've seen, a single bird can take care of 3 babies fairly well. If all the remaining eggs hatch the father might need some human assistance to keep up with the demand but that probably isn't going to happen.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:25 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
OMG! I'm so sorry for your loss! It's so hard to loose them

The mother and father gives the babies equal nutrients. The only main problem is that he is a single father but I bet he'll be strong and raise those chicks in memory of his beloved mate :)

Just keep a close eye on their weights and crops to see if he's doing his job. Do you have another bird in your flock that he won't mind sharing the eggs with? If not then you can co-parent the chicks and from personal experience, the babies are super tame and friendly :D
Good luck and keep us posted

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:36 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Barbara
Gave happy chirps: 494 times
Got happy chirps: 115 times
Do we have any news about the dad and the babies?

Page 3 of 4 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next