It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:50 pm

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: breeding nest help
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:36 pm 
Egg
Egg

Gave happy chirps: 0 time
Got happy chirps: 0 time
got this pair of cockatiels which mated and have given 2 eggs on after every other day
i have a cardboard nest for them 12x12x11 with some paper towels which are textured at the base its not 2.5 inches as described here
do i need to pile more towels at the bottom of the cage
they are going in and out of the nest and sitting on the eggs
1)can i move the egg into a diff nest if yes how ,
2)what should i be feeding them
thanks

Post subject: Re: breeding nest help
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Homemade nestboxes are OK if they're well made. The biggest problem seems to be the doorway - lots of people put it too low and then have problems with the babies falling out before they're ready to fledge and getting hurt. Our nestbox article at http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/i ... boxes.html talks about the characteristics of a good nestbox.

Wood shavings make better nest bedding than paper towels do. It's fairly cheap, and you can find it in the small animal (rodent) section of most pet stores. Aspen and pine are fine, but you need to avoid cedar because it's too aromatic for birds. Kaytee is a good brand, it's nice and clean. Some brands have a lot of dust in them which is not good for the babies.

Have the parent birds started incubating the eggs yet? Some pairs will start sitting right away and others will wait until several eggs have been laid. You can move the eggs into a different nest, but if the parents have already started incubating it's important to make sure they move into the new nest quickly, like within half an hour. Eggs can sit around at room temperature for a week or more if incubation hasn't started. But when incubation begins the embryo starts growing, and if the egg gets chilled the embryo will die. Many parent birds will accept a new nest very quickly but some won't, and if your birds don't like the new nest you'll need to put the eggs back where they were.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:29 pm 
Egg
Egg

She has laid 2 eggs until now they go in turns or at times together in the nest turn the eggs and come out, I think if they are incubation they will need more time to spend in the nest
Will try to change the box before they start to incubate.
She loves kernel of sweet corn, is chicken peas good,
Can I give them lentils uncooked or boiler it before I give them,
Also likes pieces of bread, was thinking of making egg with crumbs
Can you put any multivitamin drops like kids in the water or it may harm them

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:33 pm 
Egg
Egg

They go in turns in the nest move the eggs with the beak under the body sit for couple of minutes and then are out. It's not incubation...
How much time they will sit on the eggs while incubation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
When they start incubating there will be a parent in the nest almost all the time. The most typical pattern is for the male to do most of the sitting in the daytime and the hen sits at night. In the wild, this arrangement gives the female plenty of time to forage for food and restore her physical resources after the strain of egg laying.

If you have enough room to do it, one way to make the switch is to set up the new nestbox while leaving the old one in place with the eggs still in it. After the parents have shown interest in the new box you can move the eggs and remove the old box. But if that's not practical or convenient you can just go ahead and make the change. It sounds like they're diligent parents and it's likely that they'll adjust pretty easily.

Cooked chickpeas (garbanzos) are a good healthy food; I'm not sure whether that's the same thing you were talking about. Lentils are fine if they're cooked or sprouted, but they should be sprouted until the tail is at least 1/4 inch long.

Pellets would be better than vitamin drops, but if they won't eat pellets then vitamins made for birds would be OK. Don't use vitamins made for humans, they have too much iron and zinc for birds. If you can mix the vitamins with some kind of moist food that would be better than putting it in the water.

Whole-grain bread is a great breeding food, and my birds eat vast amounts of multi-grain bread when they have babies to feed. It shouldn't be the only food of course, and you want to aim for a variety of high-nutrition foods.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]