Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: BIO WON!!!!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:17 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
Oh dear, I walked in the birds aviary today and all of a sudden, Marahmallow flys to me and she is slightly shaking! I look to make sure everythings OK and then I realize that she wants to mate with me :o

A few seconds later I see Bio flying over really fast and then looks at Marshmallow then steals her for himself! Marshmallow had her first mate of her life at 11 months old! She is turning a year old this February 5 so I guess Bio gave her an early birthday present.

But daddy was VERY disappointed! He doesn't really know how to fly but when he has to for an emergency he would (i.e. Running away from me when I need to towel him) so after a couple of seconds of him thinking what to do he flew and tried to take Marshmallow for himself so I put my hand there to block him because he is too scared to go through but he didn't give up. He have me a very hard bite and he scrapped me hand with his beak.
So I had to ouch my hand into his direction but then Shodu came from the other direction so I had to show him my hand so he would fly away and it worked!
Once they finished Bio came off marshmallow was still in mating position and once Georgie came near her she stopped!

Last edited by Feathers on Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: OMG!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:00 am 
Conure
Conure

They just mated again!!! I don't think they had a successful mate last time because of Georgie but this time they did!!

Post subject: Re: BIO WON!!!!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:11 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
It's Georgie that's Marshmallow's father, right? So it's good that she picked Bio for her mate not her daddy. But Miss Marshmallow is really too young to be a mama so you need to try to keep her hormones under control so she doesn't start laying eggs. Hens less than 18 months old are at higher risk for egg binding problems than a fully mature hen is.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:25 am 
Conure
Conure

Georgie is Marahmallows father
They mated again :( but I don't think they did it right :)

Should I cage Marahmallow seperatly from all the other birds so that she doesn't get in any contact with other birds? It's impossible to keep her hormones under control since she lives in an aviary

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:28 pm 
Conure
Conure

I separated Marshmallow from Bio but it was so heartbreaking when I see the little critter trying to get out, especially when it's 3 days from her birthday. Bio is very mad at me, he is biting me SOO hard and I felt bad so I let marshmallow be free

Here is a picture of what Marshmallow's day is like, she is in the middle

This is her turning herself on

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cockatiels in paradise... that's a gorgeous setup! But try to think of some way to discourage the breeding impulses, because a case of egg binding wouldn't be a good birthday present for Marshmallow. A small sleep cage in a predator-free area would be best. I thought about bringing a small sleep cage into the aviary at night and covering that up, but if a predator tried to break into the aviary it would cause a huge night fright in a small confined space. That might be worse than having a huge night fright in the main aviary.

How did you separate the two of them? Maybe there's a way to improve on it that would make them less annoyed.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:07 pm 
Conure
Conure

Thanks! :P

I put Marshmallow in the small cage inside if the aviary, but I don't think Bio would mate with her since the only time he would is when she is presenting herself to me.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:26 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
Lovely looking aviary....
gorgeous birds too :cheery:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:02 am 
Conure
Conure

Thank you!!

I don't think they are going to mate since I hired Georgie to make sure nobirdy is up to no good!
Georgie and Bio are having massive fights together! Bio keeps attacking him and he attacks back! There wings are both up high and they really know how to hurt each other, I'm worried for them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:11 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's uncommon for cockatiels to actually injure each other but it does happen, and I heard of a case where someone had three males and a female in the same cage. The hen paired up with one of the cocks and he decided to eliminate his rivals, so he killed one and broke the toes of the other. Your males might fight less if Marshmallow wasn't there in the aviary to fight over, but if removing her isn't feasible it would be best to separate the males somehow. Plus hormone control all around if you can figure out an effective way to implement it.

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next