It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 4:11 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Is this normal?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:12 pm 
Finch
Finch

Gave happy chirps: 47 times
Got happy chirps: 10 times
Bitsy and Roscoe were found mating 5 days or more ago. We fixed a cage for them and a nestbox and Bitsy laid her first egg 3/7/. I was expecting a second egg 3/9 yesterday but no egg. And again no egg today. BUT Roscoe has been mating again with her. Once this morning and then again late this afternoon. Is this normal?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Is this normal?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:21 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Barbara
Gave happy chirps: 494 times
Got happy chirps: 115 times
I am no expert, but i don't think the egg laying has anything to do with the mating, in terms of timing. Sometimes the eggs are laid way after the mating, and sometimes there is no egg laying after mating.

I am in your same situation, my girl laid an egg almost a week ago and then stopped. Never happened before!

Post subject: Re: Is this normal?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
The typical pattern is for the hen to lay an egg every other day, but there are a lot of variations from the typical pattern. It's not unusual for a hen to lay an egg or two then stop, and then maybe lay some more eggs a week or two later. Keep an eye on her for signs of egg binding, and if you candle the egg that she already laid you can check on whether the shell quality is good.

srtiels has an article on egg candling at http://www.internationalcockatielresour ... -eggs.html with lots of info on what to look for. Down toward the bottom there's a set of pictures with information on good shell quality versus signs of low calcium. Calcium deficiency is the #1 cause of egg binding, and the shell quality of the eggs provides useful info about potential problems.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]