It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 6:43 pm

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Foods for Breeding Parents
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:46 pm 
Finch
Finch

Gave happy chirps: 47 times
Got happy chirps: 10 times
Is it alright to give Bitsy and Roscoe egg every day? I leave the soft food in the cage about 2 hrs. They have been alternating to come out and I make sure they get fresh food then. For soft foods I alternate between brown rice, cooked multi-grain cereal, whole wheat pasta, thawed corn. I also give them birdie bread and broccli salad. I don't want to leave any cooked food out during the night but I thought I could put in some multi-grain bread and nutiberries or avi-cakes. Will this cover them thru the night? Of course seed, pellets and fresh water are in the cage at all times.

I am going to cook some sweet potatoe tomorrow but this will be a new food for them.

Is there anything else I should be offeing?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Foods for Breeding Parents
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:37 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
I give my breeding birds egg every day, starting about the same time I give them the nestbox and ending when the babies are weaned. During the rest of the year this would be excessive, but they need the extra nutrients while they're breeding.

The parent birds probably won't eat during the night unless you keep the room brightly lit all the time. Instead they'll stock up on food at bedtime, and the parent on duty (usually the hen) will feed the babies during the night while they're tiny. When the babies are older they won't need food during the night. But if you want to leave soft foods out at night, those are good choices.

Personally I would keep the room dark at night, and not worry about the parents being able to find food at this time. In the wild they would be sleeping at night not foraging, and it might throw them off if they don't experience this natural rhythm.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:29 pm 
Finch
Finch

Gave happy chirps: 47 times
Got happy chirps: 10 times
OK I will do that to. I probably will put the bread in there in case they are up before me. Also I have always left a low lit lamp (which is in the adjoining room) on at night for them to cut down on night flights. I am feeling so much more rlaxed now that I know they are feeding the chicks and now that we have a little routine started.

Thanks to everyone!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:41 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: hannah
Gave happy chirps: 46 times
Got happy chirps: 23 times
I have found my breeding birds love crackers, bread ( whole wheat, of course!) And broccoli sprouts. Isn't that interesting?

Caspian, and Gracie.....(cockatiels)
  Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]