Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: update on chicks
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
I don't think any of them are cinnamon although there's a little room for doubt on one of the pied babies. One of the pied chicks looks very dark, the other one not as much. It's harder to judge on a pearl, but she has some very dark feathers.

According to the calculator, neither of your males can be the daddy lol. Neither of the calculator outcomes fits all the babies. Are you sure that Smokey is visual pearl, or is it possible that he's only split? Another possibility is that the babies don't all have the same daddy. If Bitsy mated with both of them, then each of them may have fathered some of the chicks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:08 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: hannah
Gave happy chirps: 46 times
Got happy chirps: 23 times
Gorgeous chicks! I always wanted a whiteface pearl!

Caspian, and Gracie.....(cockatiels)
  Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:47 pm 
Finch
Finch

Gave happy chirps: 47 times
Got happy chirps: 10 times
Smokley was definately visually pearl--he had pearls when I got them and of course molted them out. Will their color change much as they continue to feather out? I know that Roscoe mated with Bitsy, but I don't know for sure about Smokey. I know he sure would have wanted too. She presented herself a couple of times when both boys were around. I was wondering if they each could hve father the chicks or even if they jointly would have fertilized the same egg. This is baffling to me because nothing fits the calulator.

One of the reason I am concerned is that I am going to keep a chick. If Smokey could be the Dad, I would want to keep another male so I didn't have to worry about in-breeding and I do not want to get caught worrying about an unwanted egg. So I would probably have to DNA test the chicks which is not horrible but if I knew the Dad was Roscoe I would not have to worry and would keep the one that I liked the best. Of course, I can already see a problem coming, I love them all!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well then, that rules out the "he's not pearl" hypothesis. Another possibility is that either Bitsy or Roscoe isn't actually cinnamon. I don't think they could be fallow or recessive silver because they don't have red eyes. It's conceivable that Bitsy could be an extra-pale shade of normal grey rather than cinnamon, although honestly I think she's cinnamon. I'm not so sure about Roscoe though. I wonder if he might be emerald, his coloring sort of looks like it in the picture you posted in this thread, and based on that picture he looks very pale for a cinnamon.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:28 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Barbara
Gave happy chirps: 494 times
Got happy chirps: 115 times
They are all beautiful!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:53 am 
Finch
Finch

The calulator I am using does not have emerald. And yes Roscoe is very light. I am going to try and get some better pictures of him. My granddaughter is with us this week so my time is limited. It would make sense that Roscoe is not cinnamon.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:47 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Emerald is actually on the calculator under its alternate name of olive. It's an ordinary recessive mutation, so you won't get any visual babies unless both parents have the gene. This isn't likely to happen by chance since it's a rare mutation. But every single baby of a visual emerald parent will be split. I'm going to ask for some expert opinions on his color since I'm not good at figuring these things out for myself.

Dominant silver can also look very similar to emerald, and it's a dominant gene so if he was DS you'd get some visual babies. But it's hard to tell the difference between a DS baby and a normal grey baby. They look pretty much the same in the nest, and the distinctive color develops later.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:28 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

We have two votes for emerald - one from a cockatiel show judge and one from a show breeder, so there's some serious experience talking here.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:52 am 
Finch
Finch

So that solves the mystery. When I look at the calulator I get the babies I have. Now is he emerald split whiteface, pearl, pied or Emerald pied split whiteface pearl?

My son was very sure that Smokey did not mate with her; I wasn't sure when the colors weren't matcing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:07 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

He's visual pied not split so all your babies will be pied. If he's truly the father of all the babies then he's split pearl and whiteface.

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2