Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: UV light budgies?
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:09 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
Has anyone ever tried this? Because if so, I want to know what colors it works best on before I buy a UV lamp.

Budgies can see ultra violet light, and it is believed to help them choose their mate. The shinier you are, the better your luck of getting picked. If a room is darkened and a UV light is shined on budgies, they glow with bright colors that pop. There aren't many good pictures or videos on it, so I was wondering if anyone else has done this.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: UV light budgies?
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
I haven't done it with budgies, but I can tell you that the white on a cockatiel glows when you shine a black light on them. The cockatiels aren't very happy about it.

Nothing happens that we can see when you shine a full spectrum light on birds in the daytime at least - I haven't tried it at night. These lights provide UV but have all the other frequencies too, and it just looks like daylight to us. But birds can actually see into the near ultraviolet, and they'll experience colors that we can't even imagine. I don't know whether cockatiels have any markings that show up in UVA light but budgies definitely do.

A black light has a much narrower frequency range which probably helps with the special effects, although you still don't see as much as a bird would. There are some cheap black lights on Amazon for about $7 if you just want to have fun looking at budgies under a black light. If you want an actual full spectrum light to help regulate their metabolism and provide other benefits, I've got a big article about it at http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/i ... hting.html

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]