It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 1:56 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Best companion for a female IRN?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:38 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Barbara
Gave happy chirps: 494 times
Got happy chirps: 115 times
I have been asked this question by a lady who has a female ringneckand would love to get her a companion; she is also keen on getting a second bird for herself :)

I have researched a bit and many people say that two IRN females are not ideal conpanion for eachother because they will fight, and can inflict some REALLY serious damage!
Amale seems more accommodating but there is the problem of a possible mating and babies which I am sure the lady isn't keen on.

I was wondering if maybe a different bird species might be the best solution... Do you know anything about a species that goes along with ringnecks?
They don't have to live in the same cage, but just enjoy each other's company during the day.

Post subject: Re: Best companion for a female IRN?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:11 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
I don't know the answer to that question and the internet isn't providing answers. I did find one old post by someone who said his conure was good friends with an IRN, but he didn't say what kind of conure and anyway the quality of the relationship will depend on the personality of the birds.

I would think that a species that's similar in strength and beak size and has a fairly calm temperament would be best. There's less risk of bullying and injury if they're fairly well-matched in fighting ability and don't have aggressive temperaments. Preferably something that's not closely related enough for hybrids to occur, which rules out Alexandrines and African ringnecks.

Post subject: Re: Best companion for a female IRN?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:27 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Barbara
Gave happy chirps: 494 times
Got happy chirps: 115 times
Thank you Tielfan.
These little guys have massive beaks, I was wondering which species can match them beak and strength-wise...
Caiques have to be eliminated because they are belligerent, I agree that alexandrines wouldn't be a good idea, even though I think the lady would have to keep them in separate cages and supervise, no matter what bird she chooses.
So difficult!
Marnie the IRN of YouTube fame has a best friend My Pretty Bird and he's a cockatiel... you never know with these birds!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]