It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 3:12 pm

Page 27 of 31 [ 304 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pippin and JJ's Breeding Journal
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:29 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Gave happy chirps: 23 times
Got happy chirps: 20 times
Thanks. I know I did the best I could, I just wish I could have done even better. Or that I could've found a foster pair. Or that I'd changed feeding systems--I'd been considering trying to switch him to a spoon because he was starting to get really difficult with the syringe. He wasn't rejecting it, he just kept trying to grab and pull it, and had started to 'dance' around the syringe and circle around the syringe when he was doing his feeding response. He was just getting a little too excited and I didn't feel like I had enough control over what he was getting and a larger body + feathers made it harder to keep control of his head, but I hadn't switched yet.

Poor little guy had everything stacked against him and he fought so valiantly. I didn't think he'd survive when he first hatched, but I was starting to think he might actually make it...oh well. I gave him more time than he would have had otherwise.

Pretty sure chick# 3 hatched during the night as I think I spotted the fourth empty shell, but JJ didn't leave the nestbox this morning when I let them out and I didn't want to disturb him. Can hear little cheeping and feeding noises.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:51 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
You gave him a life full of love while it lasted, and he gave a lot back to you too. You've learned so much from your experience with him that you'll be much better prepared to deal with your new babies. Fortunately it sounds like Pippin and JJ are also a lot better prepared to deal with them, so hopefully you'll be able to play the role of doting grandmother not 24/7 caretaker.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:00 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Gave happy chirps: 15 times
Got happy chirps: 74 times
I am so sorry. I know how hard you tried with Basil.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:23 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
Oh my. I'm SO sorry. I'm so shocked. :sorry:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:13 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Thank you, everyone.

In happier news, the fourth egg and third surviving chick did indeed hatch. Beautiful little whiteface. All of them have nice full crops and bellies. Pip and JJ are devouring everything in sight, including the Harrison's pellets and those Higgins "Worldly Cuisine" mixes that they've never shown much interest in before.

Last three eggs are still pip-less, but two of the aircells have tilted. Is there a good way to keep track of babies in the nest? Right now I just have "the twins" and "the whiteface", but they seem to be hatching close enough time-wise I'm worried about confusing how old everyone is.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Baby cockatiels grow so fast that there's a big size difference between babies that hatched a day apart, and you can usually identify them just based on size. But if you'd like to be sure, it's OK to mark them with a nontoxic marker.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:45 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The last few eggs are likely to hatch at longer intervals than the first ones did, depending on how many eggs there were when the parents started incubating. For example if they started incubating after the third egg was laid, the first three will hatch close together but the last three will hatch every other day (more or less).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:49 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

#4 arrived this morning, judging by the still-wet down when I peeked in the box.

The other three are growing shockingly fast. They're so fat, it's adorable.

Kind of feel even worse for Basil now, seeing how a proper nest looks. All the siblings are cuddled together, and the chicks are content and quiet. Amazing how much better things go when the parents have figured out how this whole "raising a chick" thing is supposed to go.

You're right, it is really easy to tell them apart. I'm only going to mark one of the twins, just so I know which is which as they're pretty much identical at this age.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:55 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Barbara
Gave happy chirps: 494 times
Got happy chirps: 115 times
I just read this, wasn't expecting such sad news, just when I thought he'd made it, I am so shocked and sad for you, cknauf. You did such a wonderful job,
I always read this thread and wondered at your strength and determination... I would have never been able to do what you did.
It's not big comfort, but he was loved and I am sure he knew it.
I am so sorry, fly flee little Basil, you'll have big strong wings in your heaven :hug:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:19 pm 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
Ooh. Your so lucky. I want a whiteface. Ah well, at least I will jab your amazing pictures to drool over.

Page 27 of 31 [ 304 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next