It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:47 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Location for breeding question.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:25 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
I am thinking about how it's going to work out with Cloudia and Tommy when they are old enough to breed.

Cloudia is an aviary bird who hates people would she breed indoors if she was in an outdoor aviary for 1-2 years. She is pretty used to the aviary. Cloudia is very scared of people. She keeps an eye out for danger. I don't want to breed in the aviary because I don't want Georgie to take the nest before Tommy does. I actually think it's a good idea for them to but it wouldn't be fair for the other birds to be somewhere else. Can anyone figure out the best plan that would make me successful?

Post subject: Re: Location for breeding question.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:25 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
You're planning to have a removable partition for the aviary so you could let them breed in the partitioned-off area. If that wouldn't leave enough space for the non-breeding birds, maybe you could make a separate, portable aviary for temporary uses like this.

The construction style that I used for my aviary would be useful for this - each wall and the ceiling is a separate module and they're attached to each other with straight brackets. To take it apart you just unscrew the brackets, and the pieces can be stacked flat against each other when they're not being used. You could use a plywood floor like I did, or you could use concrete "stepping stones" like these: http://www.homedepot.com/b/Building-Mat ... 5yc1vZarm0 This temporary aviary obviously wouldn't be attached to the ground as securely as the real aviary, but you could drive some kind of stakes into the ground and secure the aviary to them for extra safety.

The portable aviary would come in handy in other situations where birds have to stay somewhere else for a while.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:23 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
Thanks. I didn't even ask about it. I forgot. I will ask once we get in contact with him. The plan isn't going smoothly right now.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:20 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
If you mean the partition you DO need to talk to him about that before construction begins. If you mean the portable aviary, that isn't something that needs to be made right now since you don't even know whether you'll need a separate breeding area later on. At the moment Cloudia doesn't even like Tommy and we don't know whether she'll change her mind.

If the time comes when you do need something like this, you'll hopefully have enough knowledge and experience that you can do it yourself or with help from your grandfather. The temporary aviary won't be as complicated as the permanent one.

Another option for the floor is to make a wood frame with wire screening to sit on the ground, just like the other parts of the aviary. Then you could put something solid on top of it like stepping stones, or not put anything on it at all. If it's sitting flat on smooth ground it won't be damaged when you walk on it.

Yet another option is to make a suspended aviary - basically a cage on legs. Many breeders use these. But you can't walk inside one of those so there are more escape risks while you're checking the nest, feeding the birds, etc.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]