It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:03 am

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Help Roscoe's agression
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:21 pm 
Finch
Finch

Gave happy chirps: 47 times
Got happy chirps: 10 times
Roscoe has gotten real agressive toward Bitsy tonight. He stayed in the nestbox all day sitting on the eggs. Bitsy went in once but ended up coming back out. Tonight he has been chasing her away from the nestbox and will not let her go in.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Help Roscoe's agression
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
The easiest solution to an over-aggressive male is to let him spend the night in a different cage. That's the easiest solution for the hen anyway - you might get bitten trying to move hime!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:07 pm 
Finch
Finch

I did manage to get him out of the cage, with not too many bites. Bitsy is in the nestbox. He is calmer but of course is away from the cage and nestbox. I will see if he will sleep with Snowflake tonight.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's possible that he got a little over-excited tonight and will behave better tomorrow. If not, then he can sleep elsewhere until he learns some manners lol.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:05 pm 
Finch
Finch

Roscoe is very agressive again today. He has been in the nestbox since this morning. It has been quiet here at the house. I just put Bitsy back in the cage to see if she would relieve him so that he could eat, etc but she clearly was afraid to go near the nestbox. He came charging out after her. I don't understand his agression this time. I am not going to take him out until it gets dark. Hopefully, he will come out on his own.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:05 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Barbara
Gave happy chirps: 494 times
Got happy chirps: 115 times
As I remember it, daytime is husband time in the nest. Maybe he is being overzealous and doesn't want anyone disturbing him.
If you let him be in the nest during the day, without disturbance, he will come out by himself and then you can remove him for the night?
My couple were like a swiss clock, boy in during the day, girl in during the night... and they didn't like the other parent to disrupt the routine, at all!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:31 pm 
Finch
Finch

Bitsy has just gone in the nestbox for the night and everything is ok. I guess Roscoe just wants to be in charge all day. So we will let him be. I was afraid for a moment that we were going to have to call the bird police and have an agression order levied against him LOL

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:52 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
delawaregirl wrote:
Bitsy has just gone in the nestbox for the night and everything is ok. I guess Roscoe just wants to be in charge all day. So we will let him be. I was afraid for a moment that we were going to have to call the bird police and have an agression order levied against him LOL

Typical man wants to be in charge... joking aside, its good he takes his turn... I've never breed any birds at all, but it all sounds so exciting... and ohhhhhhh the babies.... Id just luv to have some... no way tho' I'm afraid...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:00 pm 
Finch
Finch

Roscoe has certainly been fine during the day. We just leave him alone in the nestbox. But when Bitsy wants to go in for the night he gets grumpy with her. Last night and tonight I caught him with a towel and took him out of the cage so she could go in the nestbox. He does not want to go back in the cage later in the evening. Last night I just let him stay out but with the door open in case he changed his mind and wanted to sleep inside. This evening, I decided that he should not be having free rein and so I put him in with Snowflake. I am hoping that once the chicks hatch that he will calm down and get rid of this aggression. With hopefully 4 chicks to feed he is going to need Bitsy's help.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

He's safer sleeping inside a cage. Night frights are bad enough with a bird that's in a cage. A bird that's not in a cage can build up more speed flying around wildly, and there's no telling what they'll smack into.

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next