It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:34 am

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Bitsy and Roscoe's parenting journal
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:04 am 
Finch
Finch

Gave happy chirps: 47 times
Got happy chirps: 10 times
Everytihng is going fine. We have all settled down and into a routine. Chick #1 weighs 24g at 6 days ols; chick #2 wieghs 15g at 4 days old; chick #3 weighs 9g at 2 days old. They all have full crops and good color. They are hissing at me when I take them out of the nestbox. One egg to go.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Bitsy and Roscoe's parenting journal
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:16 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Gave happy chirps: 15 times
Got happy chirps: 74 times
"They are hissing at me when I take them out of the nestbox."

Oh, how adorable!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:14 pm 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
They grew really fast. I can't wait to see pictures

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:04 pm 
Finch
Finch

I am so technically challenged that posting pictures is a real adventure. I will try, but I am going to wait until the last egg has hatched.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:26 am 
Finch
Finch

Chick #4 has hatched. Another little yellow fuzz ball. I will check S/H later today when I take the others out for weighing. From what I can she the chick looks good.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:51 pm 
Finch
Finch

My son and I went out today in the afternoon and didn't get back until after 10pm. Bitsy and Roscoe of course had their seed but I also left them multigrain bread, birdie bread and another bread product. When I came in they were paceing the cage to get out and they were hungry. The chicks were chirping but have settled down. I was going to be away on Saturday for the day but now I am worried about Bitsy and Roscoe. It did look like they had eaten some of the bread but I am concerned because they are acting so hungry now. What should I do?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Do they usually eat in the cage or somewhere else? I find that my parent birds would rather eat somewhere else. I think it's an instinctive urge to conserve the resources near the nest, basically saving it for an emergency so they'll have food nearby if there's a day of bad weather. You could try to encourage them to eat in the cage more if they're used to eating somewhere else.

If that's not the reason for the problem then try to identify what it was. Was it dark in the room so they couldn't see well enough to get food? Was the food not to their liking? Were they anxious because you weren't there? A dark room is easy to fix - just leave the light on. But other causes might not be so easy to address. But if you can figure out what the problem was that puts you one step closer to solving it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:35 pm 
Finch
Finch

They always have seed and pellets in their cage however they are in a separate cage from Snowflake and Snowflake is in their total flock cage, the one they all shared before the breeding. They will go in her cage during the day to eat seed.

They get all of their "special foods" outside of the cage. When I am home they are allowed to be out of their cage. However, I do put them in their cage when I go away. They are always happy to ee me return because they can get back out of the cage. When I put Roscoe in the cage before I left today I put the plate of food on the floor of the cage and I put him there as well. When I have gone away before for a long day I have never worried because they do have their seed/pellets but I worry more because of the chicks.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:13 am 
Finch
Finch

Chicks are all doing well.When I weighed them today it looked like their crops were on overload. Chick #1 is starting to open H/H eyes and is starting to get some pin feathers on the wings. It is amazing what a few days difference in age can be to the chicks. Chicks 1&2 are so much more alert, can stand up so much better. When I was holding one of the chicks Bitsy came up and started to try to feed the chick.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:11 am 
Finch
Finch

Chicks look good today. All are gaining weight. Chick #4 is not gaining as much as the other 3 so I will keep an eye on H/H. I was holding chick #4 and Bitsy cam up and started feeding her. It is just amazing. Roscoe wanted to fee the chick too but Bitsy was in the best position. It is also so crazy. I can have the chicks out of the nestbox and it is ok, but don't dare go near them when they are in the nestbox.

Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next