It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:19 pm

Page 54 of 55 [ 546 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55  Next
 Post subject: Re: Caring for new chicks and parent birds
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Good, maybe that means they've solved their own problem.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:51 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
the morning was great but not the rest of the day. The father does feed them very occasionally. Skinny Cinnamon doesn't cry like a bird - she cries like a kitten. Heartbbreaking when he ignores her.
I am considering constructing a "handfeeding bunker" (don't laugh) - put a chair on top of the table making sure it won't move, them cover the chair with a towel or a sheet leaving only one side open, put a little stand with perch inside the bunker, and then try to feed the most stubborn in there so they would have nowhere to fly (I wonder if they would fly forward ignoring my face - they probably would). May not work though :) I want to buy them a cubicle :)

It's surprising, how much difference there is between two older and two younger. Two older are must stronger and bigger - they look like birds, not skeletons. But the two youngest are only 2-4 days younger! They were born five consecutive days. The youngest doesn't have a problem though, but the second youngest does. She somehow measured 82g today, compared to 78g yesterday. That's a good result.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:47 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

I made it. Small coffee table on top of the table, covered with the blanket that looks like a tent. But it only helped with keeping the bird inside while I am getting the next portion of formula. It didn't change their desire to open a beak for me and eat. I think it's very very late to teach them how to eat formula. Those who want have a chance, others choose to eat elsewhere. I understand their negative feelings towards formula. It makes them all dirty, and nobody likes to be dirty. Amen.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:14 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Gave happy chirps: 15 times
Got happy chirps: 74 times
I really do admire how hard you are trying to care for these chicks, who are being difficult.

The situation reminds me of the Al Anon serenity prayer, about changing the things that should be changed and accepting the things that cannot be changed. Also, the wisdom to know the difference.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:32 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Dianne, thank you for your nice words.
I think they are getting weaned - they just have to. They eat a lot, and crying less and less. Even Babyface is not always willing to eat formula and he has been my "good chick".
Is it bad for them that they are getting weaned because they have to? I understand what benefits formula provides, but I could never understand how they could benefit from the very occasional feedings from the parents (I mean when they are older but not weaned)? Our parents always fed flying chicks very briefly.
What upsets me is that they are becoming more and more flock birds (all of them) who basically don't need and ignore humans. I wish I could give each of them more personal attention. This clutch experience is rather different from the first one. Rehoming should help with this problem.

Would black beak become not so black with time? I have a chick who is rather ugly because of the black beak but this is Babyface who is easy to deal with. He appears to be twin to Bella who is also my favorite (she also had black beak when she was younger). Strange, isn't it?

We have no more eggs. Cuddles often freezes right on the table where they eat, she even sleeps there on one foot. IS it OK that a bird sleeps on the table, not on the perch? She looks tired.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:53 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Gave happy chirps: 15 times
Got happy chirps: 74 times
Cuddles may be recovering from all the demands of parenting. I wouldn't sleeping on the table on one foot would be a problem.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
The bigger the flock is, the more bird-oriented and less human-oriented they tend to be. Reducing the flock size will be helpful as you said.

I'm not sure if the beak will change color or not. You'll have to wait and see. The beak grows slowly sort of like our fingernails, starting at the top and growing downward toward the tip. So if the beak is going to change colors you'll see the old color move slowly toward the bottom.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:40 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Gave happy chirps: 1 time
Got happy chirps: 25 times
Personally, I love the look of dark beaks and dark feet and nails. (Shhh, don't tell Coyote who has a light colored beak and a single dark toe and toenail)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:18 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

The problem is that it's not entirely black. Its stained with black. We love Babyface anyway. He or she is such a sweetheart.

I don't know what to do about Roudybush High energy Breeder crumbles. They certainly help our recent babies to gain weight, but I guess other birds are not supposed to eat it. I mix it with their seeds so I am not sure how much they consume.
This is what I got from Roudybush regarding this pellets

Quote:
Yes, the High Energy Breeder diet is for feeding breeding birds that are feeding chicks. Wean chicks on to this diet for the first 1-3 months post-weaning. High energy breeder will provide these young birds with etxra protein, calcium, and Vitamin D3 needed for the continued growth that occurs during that time. The higher energy will help put back the body weight lost in the weaning process. Mix 1/3 high energy breeder to 2/3 Maintenance mixture for use in birds with a higher calcium need or are being introduced to Roudybush. The parents should be switched back to daily maintenance after they stop feeding the chicks. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:16 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Gave happy chirps: 1 time
Got happy chirps: 25 times
Chipper wrote:
The problem is that it's not entirely black. Its stained with black. We love Babyface anyway. He or she is such a sweetheart.

Ah, I see. Yes, Coyote has a little stripe lengthwise down one of the sides of his beak. I wonder if it's the same thing, just a marking. I assume the stripe will stay there, but I guess we'll see he'll grow it out as well as Babyface with his dark spot. Start calling it his beauty mark. ;)

Profile E-mail  

Page 54 of 55 [ 546 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55  Next