It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:11 am

Page 53 of 55 [ 546 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55  Next
 Post subject: Re: Caring for new chicks and parent birds
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:44 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
That's kind of unusual, but maybe they figured out that it was less work if they just stood there. You do need to figure out how to keep the cinnamon baby still enough to get the formula in the right place. Do you think she might eat from a spoon if you cupped one hand around her back to help restrain her and put the spoon in her face?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:32 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
Ok, I just tried. I am absolutely sure that feeding her makes her more harm than good. First, fighting with me takes a lot of her forces. Second, she gets all dirty and there is no way to clean her decently that contributes to more plucking, as you just said.

She is all about pulling.... forward... away from me, even when the food ends up at the location she could swallow it - she doesn't. I think this is just her personality. Stella is the same way. When its time to put older chicks to sleep, it may not be easy to take them, but as long as I have them, they are OK in my hands. Three of them. Stella is the only different. Even if she is sleepy, if I happen to grab her, she will bite hard and make her way out of my hands. Her reaction is very quick and this Cinnamon is the same way.

Does it affect chick's future health when they are supper-skinny like this? I guess she is not THAT hungry if all she wants to do is get away from me. Our older chicks all grew up into normal birds and they knew bad times as well.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:06 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

in the past, we had a few situations when the father stopped doing what he was supposed to, but he always returned to his duty after some time. I hope this will happen again

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If she loses too much weight it could affect her health. But if you feel that trying to feed her does more harm than good there is nothing you can do about it, unless the experienced breeder you talked about before would be able to take her and get her to eat.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:02 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

The surroundings would be very different if I would give her to them - parents wouldn't present at all, she would be constantly in the cage. She would probably have nothing to do but eat from them.
This is why I think the store owner pulls out all babies at 3 weeks - to avoid all complications that I am having. I wonder how they fledge if she removes them into the brooder and then cage. I saw some 2 weeks old babies in the brooder in the store.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:43 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

just a thought... We were so much working on hormone reduction... can this be a result of it? And if so..... should I ... increase their daytime a little bit?
:) Don't be mad, ladies, this is why I was saying everything was not that easy.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hormone control shouldn't affect the babies' appetite. It can have an effect on the parent's interest in taking care of the babies however. That's why it has to be done carefully. It's good to teach the babies to accept handfeeding when they're 2 to 3 weeks old - they accept it more easily at that age than they do when they're older.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:22 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

while I was thinking heavy thought during the day on what to do, father fed them a little bit in the evening. Of course this is far from what they need to get but at least he is still there as a father.
I was thinking earlier if it would help to isolate all babies in the cage in another part of the house, keep them caged so they don't loose energy flying, occupy them with toys. maybe let them fly a little bit in the evening. Get them out for feeding (this way I don't have to catch them). Feed them 3 times a day. keep this schedule for a week. I don't know what would happen to father's hormones if the chicks are removed - would he completely loose interest?

Anyway, while I was thinking... father fed them - more than 3 seconds that he did this morning. I didn't see who he fed (hopefully that one who is crying the most - the skinny Cinnamon). Others are all right. Two pied don't mind eating formula, and their weight is not of my concern (almost 90g). One Cinnamon is feeding herself pretty well and she is always energetic. I haven't progressed any further with skinny Cinnamon feeding her today.

What would you do, tielfan, in my situation?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:37 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you keep the babies in the cage with their father he might feed them more often. If he doesn't feed them, then you will be able to collect them more easily for handfeeding. It might work!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:23 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

I am afraid if I let other birds fly, the locked may be willing out of the cage with great force. I also don't know how to serve a variety of food in the cage. Only 1 food bowl + one water cup are normally there.

This morning started so good. All the babies were eating, eating, eating. Nobody cried for food from the father.

Page 53 of 55 [ 546 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55  Next