It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:03 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Roscoe is being horrible.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:05 am 
Finch
Finch

Gave happy chirps: 47 times
Got happy chirps: 10 times
Roscoe is in full breeding mode. It has been very bad since daylight savings time started. I was afraid to try long night treatment for fear I would leave the cover on too long. We have had to separate him and Bitsy at times during the day. Now she is going in the cage to where the textbox was and seems to be looking for it. She is also eating calcium so she is getting ready to lay. Should I put the textbox back up or if I don't will that keep her from laying? Also babies are 5 wks old and eating pretty good. But they are not weaned. If Bitsy lays, will they stop feeding the babies? Too late to get fake eggs and besides I would have trouble boiling the eggs etc. I know 3 clutches in a breeding season is not good but I don't think I can stop it from happening.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Roscoe is being horrible.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Some hens will lay eggs without a nestbox and others won't. You can always wait and see which type Bitsy is, and put the nestbox up if she lays an egg.

The parent birds (particularly the male) will usually keep feeding the babies after they start a new clutch, but keep an eye on the situation to make sure the chicks are getting enough to eat. They'll be learning to feed themselves during this period but will still need some help.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:23 pm 
Finch
Finch

Gave happy chirps: 47 times
Got happy chirps: 10 times
That sounds good. Hopefully she won't lay but she really is acting like she wants to.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:51 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
You can make the apparent night length a little bit longer than what they're used to, to give them the impression that the days are getting shorter. It might help. Just don't be too extreme with it.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]