It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:15 pm

Page 2 of 3 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Light pied male - face molting in more yellow?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
I'm glad you enjoy him so much, you're giving him the kind of loving home that I want all my babies to have.

Coyote is the son of Pip and Ladybug. If Buster and Shodu will be so kind as to give me a whiteface lutino girl next year, she just might end up being Coyote's mate. Unless you read enough hormonal-cockatiel threads to realize what you're getting yourself into and decide to get another male instead lol.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:43 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
No cockatiel breeding for me. Maybe budgies though. I have no intention of breeding but if I have a mixed sex aviary, it's likely to happen at some point. Luckily I know how to handfeed if it ever comes up.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:35 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Gave happy chirps: 15 times
Got happy chirps: 74 times
"I was lamenting on trying to find a good breeder for cockatiels in my area on TC"

I actually remembered that!

"he wants to help me type by plucking keys off my keyboard, like just now, haha)."

I bought a 'keyboard skin.' It helps protect the keys from my tiels. They just try to remove the skin instead.

So, did you live close enough to pick Coyote up at Carolyn's?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:59 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That was definitely possible, but instead I delivered Coyote to her! In fact I took a small cage filled with all my remaining babies so she could pick the one she liked best. We know who won the 'favorite bird' competition lol.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:28 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Gave happy chirps: 1 time
Got happy chirps: 25 times
Yes, Coyote hopped on my finger and I could hardly shake him off to meet the other babies! ha. Then when we were testing his little clip, he flew over to the TV stand like he owned the place and he's been like that ever since. I'd love to get another cockatiel next year or so but my husband is pretty firm that we're full up on birds at the moment and truthfully, we are. But I have a feeling that my ancient cat is running out of steam and I think he's actually going senile, poor guy, so I dunno how much longer he's going to be with us and that may change the "zoo" dynamic we have going on right now.

As for breeding, you know, I love the idea of it because I've never let a pet have babies before and I know Coyote and a Shodu/Buster baby female would make some beautiful babies. When the time comes where it's feasible, we'll see if I'm still keen on the idea!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:47 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Carolyn, is it possible for Buster and Shodu to have a cinnamon lutino? Or no, because they're on separate Xs?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

They can have a cinnamon lutino and actually did have one last year, but it's infrequent. It requires a genetic crossover (there's info on that at http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/i ... overs.html ). The estimated crossover rate between cinnamon and lutino is 3%, so roughly 1 out of 30 chicks is expected to be affected.

Quote:
my husband is pretty firm that we're full up on birds at the moment

Isn't this the same guy who wanted toucanets? :joke:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:45 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There are lots of crossovers between cinnamon and pearl however (estimated rate = 30%), so Coyote can give you a fair amount of cinnamon pearl girls if he actually is split to cinnamon. He's definitely split to pearl.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:36 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

tielfan wrote:

Isn't this the same guy who wanted toucanets? :joke:

Touche! Yes, but they're his "something that might be nice once the kiddo is in college" type thing. ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:45 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

I was asking over on TC if anyone else had a light pied male with a dirty face who molted in a yellow face and now people are posting that he must be split to pied. It's silly how irritated I am by this. This is my precious unique little snowflake we're talking about here! I am being irrational but come on, how can a bird be split to pied with all the clear feathers he has and the fact that both his mother and father are pied and have only ever had pied chicks?

Also, I really need to get my phone situation figured out so I can show you all how truly yellow his face is now. It's almost totally bright yellow. It's really amazing when you see his baby picture with his totally grey face. I realize this is the norm for other mutations but such a nice surprise for me since it was so unexpected. I loved his little grey face but I love his bright new yellow one! He's so handsome.

Well besides all the scraggly feathers he has right now due to the two night frights he's now had in the past week. The second one was totally my fault, I was rushing to get out of the door for work and uncovered his cage without warning and off he went. Instead of talking and whistling to him to calm him down I reached in and let him out. He was panicked and flew around a bit but didn't crash into anything so it was a definite improvement from the first night fright. Tonight, while I was putting him in his night cage, he shook out another feather he must have broken... it had some old dried blood on the end of the quill. :(

Profile E-mail  

Page 2 of 3 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next