It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:28 pm

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Where can I put my breeding birds?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:03 pm 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
I'm thinking about breeding my birds but I'm really stuck on where I can put them. I had the best spot for breeding but an accident happened and I can't use that spot again. I can out a table with the breeding cage next to the aviary but it's not going to work because the breeding birds get jealous of the aviary and want to get out. I have the storage room but I hate breeding there because it's really complicated over there. The storage room is closed and there is no AC so it's really hot. I'm just really stuck on where I can put them. Would it be okay if I out the breeding birds in a cage and put the cage in the aviary? I can't bring them inside. I'm really upset because I don't feel like there is any solution. I would love to make a seperation in the middle of the aviary but that is WAY to complicated.

Post subject: Re: Where can I put my breeding birds?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:51 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
You could try doing that to see how well it works. My experience is that when there's a locked breeding cage in the room the other birds spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to get into it because they want the nestbox too, and it's annoying to the parent birds. But you can reduce the annoyance factor a lot by covering up the top of the breeding cage so other birds can't stand on top of the cage and look down at the nest. Cover the top of the nestbox too so they can't stand on top of it and try to chew their way inside. Squeebis and Teela were major nuisances doing that. I ended up putting my breeding cages in the hallway outside the birdroom to get them away from all the birds who aren't breeding but would like to.

If you have any leftover hardware cloth from building the aviary, it would actually be fairly simple to make a removable partition, especially if you can get your friendly grandfather to help you.

Post subject: Re: Where can I put my breeding birds?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:59 pm 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
Thank you so much!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]