Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Maya masturbated...
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:40 pm 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
Maya is my first bird i had that masturbated. All this time i thought she was doing the hen mating stance for the guys but she was actually mating with the perch. There is a long perch in the aviary and there is a not too long but thickish branch. She perches on the perch while rubbing her vent at it. She did this twice in less that 10 minutes apart.

My little cousin came over (she's 6-7 years old) and she wanted to play with Marshmallow so i brought her inside and she touched her back to pet her, i told her not too and she was confused at why not. A couple minutes later this does the mating position. My cousin asked what she was doing. All i could say was THIS is why you don't pet her on the back :lol:

Post subject: Re: Maya masturbated...
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:46 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
Teak was my first bird to masturbate. Jail Bird never did it, but my second bird, Teaky boy, oh yes, he did it. He would go to town on his rope perch. He shredded one end to make it soft and everyday, he just did it. JB, Mackenzie and Jaid are the only birds I've never had do it.

Teak, Beck, Beaker and Poppy have all done it. Naughty boys. Either way, it's pretty natural.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Hopefully watching Maya do her thing will give your boys some ideas! She's showing them that she's hot to trot, and if they want some action they should pay more attention to her.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:57 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
Thank you guys! Its so frustrating because Maya always does this when all the other birds are sleeping. Maya is gorgeous but none of the males are interested in her. She is like the odd man out. She is always by herself. I haven't seen her interact with any of the birds besides for fighting. All the males are either interested in Cloudia or Marshmallow. Im not going to breed Maple and Levi because they aren't bonded. Levi loves Marshmallow. Definitely a soap opera in my aviary...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:07 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
Is it possible to be bonded with one birds but love another one?
I hope Maya will find a friend

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:36 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Gave happy chirps: 1 time
Got happy chirps: 25 times
It's funny, but the only bird of mine that masturbates is Cloud, my lone female budgie. Even before her cere started to change to a tan color, she started rubbing her vent on the side of the cage. I know she was very, very young when I got her so she started doing this at what I would think is even a preteen age for a budgie. She probably spends about 37% of every waking hour doing this ever since she started. She is not interested in the boys, she doesn't try to present herself to them or do any nesty looking behaviors (at least that I can tell) so it's just her thing. (I have checked her vent several times to make sure there's nothing funky going on there and it's totally normal and clean. No inflammation, no signs of any issues so while I did consider a possible health issue causing it, I now think that it's just her doing her thing)

Waffles and Ninja are now more bonded with one another than either with her, to the point that if they could have babies, I think they would be trying to find a nest or something. I am of the opinion that homosexuality is just a truly natural thing that just happens with some animals because hi, my budgie setup is a prime example of that. There's a ready and willing female and two mature(ish) budgies who just ignore her and would rather preen and feed each other.

Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]