It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:39 pm

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: formula questions
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:58 am 
Finch
Finch

Gave happy chirps: 47 times
Got happy chirps: 10 times
It is taking me forever to get formula warm. Any suggestions?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: formula questions
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 11:24 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
What I do is nuke some water in a bowl until it's nice and hot, and also have some cold water in a separate bowl. I pour a little cold water on the formula powder, then some hot, and check the temperature, then add more warm or cold water (or formula powder) as needed until the texture and the temperature are right. I usually overheat it a little and stir it with the thermometer until it's just right. Then I fill the syringe and put the cup of formula in the bowl of hot water to help keep it warm until I'm ready for the next chick.

If it cools down too much, I heat the water again until it's hot and stick the cup of formula back in it. If the water is hot enough it won't take very long for the formula to heat. The cup holding the formula will heat up faster than the formula itself does, so take the cup out of the hot water before the formula reaches the temperature you want - the formula temperature will continue to rise as it absorbs heat from the cup. I stir it with the thermometer until the temperature stops rising and starts falling, and hits the point that I want.

There will definitely be some time spent waiting for the formula to heat up or cool off. But with a little experience you'll learn how to minimize the wait time. After the babies get the hang of handfeeding, they will spend the wait time squalling for food to make it more pleasant for you lol.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 12:37 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
delawaregirl wrote:
It is taking me forever to get formula warm. Any suggestions?
from hot or from cold?
When you mix formula, the suggested water temperature is 120F, this way your formula should be ready to eat almost right away. I normally use a little hotter than 120 to mix formula. probably 130.
Then ,when it gets cooler than it should be, I put the cut in the pot with hot water. Here is a tricky part that is always based on experimenting - how hot the water in the pot needs to be and how long you want cup to sit there.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 4:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't aim for a specific water temperature. I just get it hot and mix the formula in stages, adding cold water first so the formula doesn't get badly overheated by the hot water. But you could mix the water this way without adding the formula until you get the right temperature. Get some hot water and add cold water to it, stirring with the thermometer until you get the temperature you want.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:23 am 
Finch
Finch

Gave happy chirps: 47 times
Got happy chirps: 10 times
Somehow I thought the temperature of the formula should be 95to 97.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:54 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The temperature recommendations vary, but 102 to 106 is well within the safe range. Birds have a hotter body temperature than humans do, and this is body temperature for them. Formula that's too hot will burn the crop, and formula that's too cold will be hard to digest. 110 is considered to be the maximum safe temperature but some people report that babies can be burned at that temp, so aim for something a little lower. I don't know what the lowest safe temperature is, but I always aim for at least 102 until the babies fledge.

The water temperature needs to be warmer than that, since it will cool off some when you mix it with the formula, and it will cool off some more when you draw it up into the syringe. I like to wait until the temperature drops just below 109 in the cup, then suck it up into the syringe. I figure that by the time I start putting it into the chick it will be just about perfect.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]