Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Conures and Cockatiels?
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 2:25 pm 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
Can conures and cockatiels be mixed in an aviary?

Post subject: Re: Conures and Cockatiels?
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 4:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Most people think it's not a good idea. Conures have bigger beaks.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 4:47 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
Hmm... their beaks are larger, but I wonder what could be a good size for space to prevent most skirmishes.
http://images1.localmarketpets.com/nlar ... 653609.jpg

If you do get a conure though, I like Carolyn's idea of separating it. It actually seems like a good compromise! You may not even have to give away birds.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

A lot of conures tend to be nippy which is the reason so many people recommend against putting them in the same cage with tiels. I once babysat a green cheeked conure for a couple months. He was adorable, and weighed about 10 grams less than the cockatiels, but he was nippy with me. I never let him get near the tiels because I didn't trust him.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:04 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
Id never put a Concure with a tiel...to risky!
Just pen them apart and you wont have to part with any of your birds...

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:49 am 
Conure
Conure

It's not so easy. I don't think a conure is a right bird for me. I just won't breed or buy anymore cockatiels and when they all pass, I'll get a conure. That may be over 15 years. So I'm going to be around 30 years old.

I don't want to split my aviary. It's going to be too small for cockatiels so squish on one side. They won't be as happy. Cleaning will also be harder. I won't even be able to fit on the other side of the aviary. I don't want another aviary. That will just stress me out with cleaning and splitting my time between 2 sections. Maybe I can rehome some of my tiels to speed things up?

I feel very mean. I'm just going to throw away my birds for a different species? What happens if I get bored of a sun conure? I'm sticking with my crazy crested birds. I'll be much happier with them than making so many changes that will make me feel worse.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:11 am 
Quaker
Quaker

No, you are not "throwing away" your birds, but it's your decision. I personally think you would have fun with a conure, but you do what feels right, only you know what you want.

It's never wrong to think you want some changes. It's human nature, so don't feel bad about it. I feel that way sometimes when I get a new bird craving.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:30 am 
Conure
Conure

Whatever I said in the post before this one: I feel the complete opposite. That's how I am the whole day. I am just alternating between completely wanting a Sunny, to completely thinking its a bad idea.

I can always have cockatiels. I can only add more and more. I'm not going to wait a whole lifetime to get a Sun conure. There aren't many things that give me happiness or pleasure. This is a serious moment. I actually feel happy and excited for something. I really want a Conure. It doesn't matter about the mutation. I want to test my bird skills. I want to try getting a bird with a bigger beak. I want a bird that will be super lovable and touchable. I want something bigger and something harder to care for. Tiels are like finches for me, except for Maya. But even her sometimes. I'm going to talk to my mom about it when she comes home. I want to know what she will say. She has good ideas.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:50 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It would be a really nice solution if you were able to keep a conure in the house, but it's understandable if the noise is too much for the rest of the family. If that's not doable, you don't have to wait until all your tiels pass to get a conure. You just have to wait until you're old enough to have your own place.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:56 am 
Quaker
Quaker

It's okay. When I was getting Poppy, I was so on the fence. Would I have been wrong and he would be a hen? Would he abuse Beck like Mackenzie did? Would they just flat out not like each other? Would he not like me?

The answers to those were no, no, no and no, much to my relief. I was happy I got Beck a friend. Now they keep each other company and are friends. But I feel you. Beck and Poppy are pretty and silly, but very small and not interactive, so I frequently have a bigger bird craving. Although I'm completely satisfied with my tiels. Those 2 are nuts and always keep me thinking, they make me smile everyday with their silly, crazy, naughty antics and not many things can do that.

I feel that way whenever I think of a bird I might like. I get an excited spinning in my belly and I feel happy. But still, just think it over. You need more time to decide.

Just a question, how big is your aviary? If it's large enough I really feel like dividing it wouldn't hurt, but if it's too tight of a squeeze, then something else needs to be thought up.

Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next