It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:54 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Roscoe is in breeding mode again--Help
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 2:48 pm 
Finch
Finch

Gave happy chirps: 47 times
Got happy chirps: 10 times
To begin with Snwflake (daughter of Roscoe &Bitsy) is wanting her own babies. She sneaks in the nestbox but doesn't know what to do. She has started laying eggs--2in her cage and 1in nestbox. She doesn't sit on them.

Roscoe is really in breeding mode. I have caught him with babies and now today with Bitsy. I'm afraid for them to have a third clutch but don't know what to do. I'm thinking about taking the nestbox down. Babies are 4weeks old. One is still spending a lot of time in the nestbox. Should I separate Bitsy & Roscoe and not let them out of cage together. But then how will they take care of babies?

I think there is something bad in my water because I even found a baby on top of another baby today LOL.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Roscoe is in breeding mode again--Help
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 4:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Taking the nestbox down sounds like a good idea. At four weeks the babies should be very close to fledging anyway. You could put an open-top box in the bottom of the cage for babies who aren't quite ready to leave the nest yet, and give the parents a light dose of the long nights treatment. Nothing too extreme, since you don't want their hormones to go down so much that they stop taking care of the babies. But maybe an hour longer than the night length they're getting right now, to give them the idea that the days are getting shorter.

Babies can get sexual very fast. Last year an 8 week old chick was sitting in the seed cup. Her sister climbed on her back trying to get at the seed, and the weight pressed the bottom chick's vent against the edge of the cup. She started doing the hen mating cry, and I was astounded. She wasn't even completely weaned yet.

Post subject: Re: Roscoe is in breeding mode again--Help
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 12:59 am 
Budgie
Budgie

Name: Bob
Gave happy chirps: 140 times
Got happy chirps: 52 times
Yeah, I'd take down the nestbox 2. Maybe moving around some stuff in the cage could help, but I'm not sure if that would cause them to stop tending to the chicks

Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]