It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:45 am

Page 2 of 3 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: A new breeding combination!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:37 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Gave happy chirps: 1 time
Got happy chirps: 25 times
Exciting to hear about the new breeding pair! What mutations do you expect from this pair?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
At this point I already know what I got from them! There were two boys who were grey split pied, and a girl who was whiteface cinnamon pearl - my very first pearl chick, out of 73 babies to date. I'd basically forgotten that it was even possible to have pearl chicks so it was very exciting when she started getting pinfeathers and I realized that she looked different. I call her YinYin, and her nickname is the Silver Princess although she's actually cinnamon not silver. She's a beauty too, and somebody already wants to buy her.

I had 19 chicks this year and not one of them was a lutino, whiteface or otherwise. That's the most chicks I've ever had in a single year, and the only year that I've not had at least one lutino.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:44 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

It's because the breeding gods knew we were talking about that! YinYin is a beauty for sure. I'm now thinking that if I ever do let Coyote breed, I'd love to get a whiteface pied or split for pied mate for him so maybe one of the babies from this pair would work? Or is this dad related to Coyote's dad?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:48 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Oh and I need to post a new pic of Coyote so you can see him. It's like he's a totally different bird now! His face finished molting in yellow and he still has the sort of white marbling look on the back of his head along with the grey streaks in his crest. He's gorgeous. He's still looking a bit ragged though as he hasn't finished molting out the pied wing feathers that got sort of roughed up during his big night fright a few months back. The ones that have molted back in are looking good though so it's just a matter of time.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think it's possible that Azazel and Pip are brothers but I don't know that for sure. The mothers are completely unrelated to each other and to Pip and Zaz. Worst case scenario the chicks of Teela and Zaz would be first cousins to Coyote, which is good enough to get married in about 20 states lol. There's also a good chance that Pip and Zaz aren't related to each other at all. So it would probably work out pretty well, and if it was me I'd probably go for it.

Azazel is cinnamon and Teela is not, so all their daughters will be cinnamon and all their sons will not be cinnamon. Sexing made easy. I don't know whether he's split pearl or visual pearl - I have to wait and see if they have any non-pearl daughters to find out. Only 25% of their babies are expected to be whiteface, so whiteface cinnamon pearl girls are going to be relatively rare. About 1 out of every 16 chicks if he's only split to pearl. But I'll get some non-whiteface cinnamon pearl girls and some of them will be split pied. I don't think Teela has any pied genes so I'm not likely to get any pearl pied girls. I don't think YinYin is split pied but she has so many little white marks on the back of her head that I might not be able to tell the difference between a pearl and a small tickmark. As you know, Coyote is split pearl and WF so if he had a mate with the pied and whiteface genes you could get whiteface pearl pied daughters.

The summer bird mart was on Saturday and there was a vendor there who had a whole bunch of cockatiels in a lot of different varieties including some rare mutations. She knew the sex of most of them too. So if my flock doesn't provide what you're looking for there are other options out there.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:07 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Everything is so bonkers right now that this is still just a pipe dream for me right now anyways. Nice to think about, not so nice to make a reality.

The burglary has really put us in a bad place emotionally and financially. I have no idea what insurance will pay out but we've already spent a lot on trying to secure our house again. AGAIN. We just went through this 2 years ago and took measures to secure the house and it wasn't enough (obviously) so now we've gone full blown with it, most of it DIY. Money, energy and time are all things that are spent before we've even earned it at this point. I'm glad that the only thing I can tell they did with the animals was leave my poor elderly cat outside in the heat all day (ARG! RAAAAAAGE)

Posted from an old, old rinky dink laptop we dusted off. I know, I really am whining this much about my first world problems. Poor starving children in a third world country should have this old, old rinky dink laptop we dusted off instead. (rim-shot)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Being burglarized is traumatic and having to use an old laptop is just the tip of the iceberg. I'm glad that more harm wasn't done.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:48 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
I never knew you were burglarized Cloudy. I'm sorry to hear that.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:37 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Yeah, me too. I sincerely believe 99% of the people out there are good hearted and while they may have problems, they don't hurt or mess with others on purpose. But man, that 1%... they can suck it!

Anyways, didn't mean to thread hijack!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:18 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
the baby on the picture is adorable!

Page 2 of 3 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next