It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:01 am

Page 2 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Can Males keep their pearls?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:50 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
His eyes are probably OK but I won't swear to it. His melanin coloring is very light and he has very pink skin because of this. His eyelids look more prominent than my whiteface lutino chicks do, but this may be a simple genetic difference not irritation or swelling. Or maybe he's just missing a few feathers around the eye due to the parental plucking. I've seen pictures of other white or almost-white chicks who looked similar and were fine. In your pictures it looks like the rest of his skin is about the same color as the eyelids. Maybe he's just an extra-pink little guy lol.

Here are a couple of pictures of baby Snowy for comparison. She has even less melanin in the skin than your baby because she's whiteface lutino. She had a case of angel wing which was the main reason for taking the pictures, but her eyes show up well. Her wing is perfect now; it looks terrible in the first picture but actually was very easy to fix. It's basically a muscle weakness in the wrist joint that develops sometimes during the baby stage and makes the wing tip stick out at a weird angle. But if you put the turned-out wing tip back where it belongs for a few days it will correct itself and develop normally.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:25 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
why does Snowy have a bandage on her/his wing?

I think it doesn't matter right now if the new bird is a male or female, but I bet in a little bit she will find out.
I think it's rather hard NOT to determine tiel's gender by behavior :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:34 pm 
Banned
Banned

Name: Brandon
Gave happy chirps: 28 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
Chipper wrote:
why does Snowy have a bandage on her/his wing?

I think it doesn't matter right now if the new bird is a male or female, but I bet in a little bit she will find out.
I think it's rather hard NOT to determine tiel's gender by behavior :)

To hold the wing in place for a few days because it was at a weird angle,some baby's develop this and you just put it in its correct position for a few days and it will develop normally.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:27 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
The breeder said she doesn't know enough about the parents to know if it's a recessive silver or not. American Cockatiel Society seems to vote on recessive silver, but it's hard to tell.

Here's what she said regarding the mutations:
breeder wrote:
the mother is solid white with red eyes and the father is gray. The bottom of his is kind of a cinnamon gray, and then he's got a white head.

So it sounds like the father's a whitefaced cinnamon pied. She tried sending a picture, but it didn't go through. She'll send me a picture of the mother as well. It seems like at this point, literally anything could be possible.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
The mother does sound like a whiteface lutino. The breeder seems to be saying that the father has a cinnamon (or cinnamon-looking) body, but the talk about a white head might simply be referring to the face color of a whiteface male not a pied. If "he" is actually pied and that's where the white head came from, it's possible that she might have the genders reversed. It's fairly common for inexperienced breeders who know nothing about coloration to be mixed up about which parent is the father and which is the mother. If you have a whiteface lutino paired with a pied, there's no visual cue of which is male and female since neither has normal face coloring. Both parents take care of the eggs and babies so the parenting behavior doesn't give a glaringly obvious indicator of which is which. It IS pretty glaringly obvious when they mate since the male is normally on top, but maybe some owners don't know this or don't see them mating.

The baby's eye color points toward recessive silver more than any other mutation, and the feather color isn't inconsistent with this. But I've seen enough coloration oddities to think that every rule has exceptions. Pied birds are supposed to have dark eyes, but I've seen a picture of a grey pied bird with vivid red eyes that was not known to have any other mutations. He probably had some odd combination of genes or something unusual in his pied pattern that gave him red eyes instead of dark.

Something like this could have happened with your baby too. Some cinnamon babies hatch out with eyes that are as red as a lutino. This usually darkens within a few days. It could be possible that your baby is a cinnamon who hatched out with red eyes but they didn't darken like they're supposed to. It's too bad that the breeder didn't mention the father's eye color. If dad has red eyes it's just about guaranteed that he's RS. If he has dark eyes it's pretty safe to assume that he's cinnamon.

When this chick is older there's an easy way to find out whether this coloring is cinnamon or not, but it might be too drastic for you. It's test breeding. Pair this bird with a cinnamon mate. If all the babies are cinnamon, this bird is cinnamon. If none of the babies or only some of the babies are cinnamon, this bird is not cinnamon.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:36 am 
Budgie
Budgie

Name: Bob
Gave happy chirps: 140 times
Got happy chirps: 52 times
I wouldn't worry about the eyes either.

Only thing off is the feathers that got plucked...

But keep a look out for other weird behaviour. As long as she's your normal daft acting cockatiel I wouldn't worry to much :bigsmile100:

Profile E-mail  

Page 2 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2