Post subject: Separated the canaries from the tiels
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:50 pm 
Budgie
Budgie

Name: Bob
Gave happy chirps: 140 times
Got happy chirps: 52 times
Hello all!

I haven't been posting much but I read most of the posts on here, so yeah, I'm still alive! :bigsmile100:

I decided to put this up as much for my information (for later use maybe) as to let you guys know how all is going on this side of the pond.

I have sparated the canaries from the tiels.

I had caught out 8 canaries previously and put them into breding cages.
One as a couple, the other two males with two hens. Leaving 9 canaries in the flight with the cockatiels and the finches. The last canary (if anybody is counting how much I have) is in a cage with the goldfinch in hopes of crossbreeding them.

But as of today I decided to move all the canaries in the smaller flight. This way I can observe them better, some were not yet sexed. But as of today I know I have 4 cocks and 5 hens left.
I believe I'm going to keep this arrangement till after the breeding season.

For the cockatiels I'm planning on building some nestboxes in the future. If they breed, fine, if not, well no harm done. I'm not going to pick the couples out myself, I'll let them decide who to mate with. I'm hoping for some whiteface chicks from different parents (unrelated) so I can keep a hen and cock for myself. The rest I'll put up for sale. I'm not going to put any effort in taming them so I'll keep my price as low as 15 euro I think.

For the canaries I'm hoping I can convince my wife to give up a wall in the shed. Now the breedingcages are set upon a table and it's not very practical. I want them to hang on the wall.

I'm looking forward to the next breeding season ! Can hardly wait!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Separated the canaries from the tiels
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Cockatiels breed best when they choose their own mate, so you have a good plan! It's likely that the canaries will breed better too if the nestboxes are hanging on the wall, so good luck convincing your wife to let you do it. Birds feel safer when they're up higher, and having the nestboxes on the wall ought to be a bigger height than having them on a table.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:42 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
Wow its going to be a busy time in your cages!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:38 pm 
Budgie
Budgie

Name: Bob
Gave happy chirps: 140 times
Got happy chirps: 52 times
tielfan wrote:
Cockatiels breed best when they choose their own mate, so you have a good plan! It's likely that the canaries will breed better too if the nestboxes are hanging on the wall, so good luck convincing your wife to let you do it. Birds feel safer when they're up higher, and having the nestboxes on the wall ought to be a bigger height than having them on a table.

Well I'm hoping for some 'action' coming season, but I'm happy enough with how things are now. No stress :D I know I'll be excited if they are mating though... Can't wait!

I'm actually thinking not to ask my wife. I've got some days off from work coming up and if the weather is ok I might just start redecorating and see how it goes from there :?

Jan wrote:
Wow its going to be a busy time in your cages!

Well we have some time yet before it becomes really busy :bigsmile100:

Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]