Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Canary ownership/Parrots
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:14 pm 
Banned
Banned

Name: Brandon
Gave happy chirps: 28 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
So I am thinking of getting a Little yellow Canary just to liven the room up with some nice singing since my birds are fairly quiet and I like the noise.I would try and tame it but thats not really important to me.I am gonna research now.His name will be Tweety lol name picked already and he will definitely be my last bird for now until I am older.I wanted a singer to make some noise and had to be a non parrot as 4 parrots would be too much to handle and a Canary fits in perfectly.Now some questions.

1. Can Tweety be let out to fly for a while?
2. I heard they can catch diseases pretty quick True or False
3. Will they need to have separate out of cage time?
4. Do they need a lot of stuff like grit.
5. Do they require a big cage for flying?

I would rather have a fairly small cage and let it out to fly but the cage would be at least big enough for some flight inside.

Post subject: Re: Canary ownership/Parrots
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:48 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
I don't know a lot about canaries, but they can be taught to sit on your hand and head, and to have out of cage flight time. Here's an article on one way to teach them to do it: http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-behavio ... aries.aspx

They're hardy birds, not more likely to get sick than other species. It would probably be safer to give the canary a separate out of cage time from the parrots, since it's much smaller than them and has a different type of beak, and couldn't defend itself much in a fight.

The internet is saying that canaries hull their seeds just like parrots do. When it comes to grit, most people on the internet will tell you that birds that hull their seeds shouldn't be given grit, and birds that don't hull their seeds require grit. This advice looks like nonsense to me lol. This is a subject that I've researched a lot, and it looks to me like there isn't any bird that actually requires grit whether it hulls the seeds or not. With the seeds we give to pet birds, the actual seed is usually a lot harder than the shell is. Any bird that can digest the seed without grit isn't going to have a problem dealing with the shell. But grit helps improve digestion and may help condition the digestive tract, so it can be beneficial (but not required) for any bird that wants it. Apparently canaries do like to eat grit, but they don't require it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:57 pm 
Banned
Banned

Yeah I know they can be tamed.Its best for them to be young for taming isn't it? Is there any way of avoiding getting a canary lol I would love one to liven the room but could I perhaps teach Rocko to sing or whistle.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
It's easy to avoid getting a canary lol. Just don't go to a store and buy one, or accept one as a gift. With any bird it's easiest to tame them when they're young. If you really enjoy the singing you can look for singing-canary videos on youtube.

phpBB [video]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:27 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
Taming would not be a good idea. Though they're hardy in the sense of fighting off infection, it could take a good enough scare to give the thing a heart attack. Canaries tend to be a little territorial, so they're perfectly happy by themselves. They don't imprint well either, so even if you do tame it, all it would take is a few days without any interaction to revert to it's untamed state.

They can't climb by parrots, so an ideal cage would be one it can fly in. Length and depth would be a little important than height, but I've had a canary do fine in a cage that's meant for cockatiels. Of course, we had no cockatiels at the time.

You can probably let it fly around in the room. Just keep the door closed, and be careful if you were to walk out. They're fast flyers, and because they can't climb, they depend on their flight for moving around, so clipping is not an option. Make sure the room in question is safe for the bird, and keep the door open so he can fly back. Hopefully he will fly back, or else you're gonna have a hard time getting him back in the cage.

If you want one that sings, get a male. Females may chirp on occasion, but they're not known for singing. They're sweet little things though. I had a canary for a while. We got him around the time we had adopted rescued cockatiels, and he would sing along when the male tiels would sing. The house became very loud at the time. :lol: but he also liked to sing to the sound of the wild finishes outside, when we had a door or window open (there's an outside screen door in front of our front door).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:15 pm 
Banned
Banned

I know you cant clip them and would never ever clip any bird ever again.I think maybe Mango would be less scared if he had the ability to fly.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:05 pm 
Budgie
Budgie

Name: Bob
Gave happy chirps: 140 times
Got happy chirps: 52 times
All advise given above is true.

You may have heard there is a disease out there that kills canaries. Overhere it's called the canary-pox. But you can inject the birds to protect them. If you don't and they catch it they will die.

Chances of them catching it are slim to non existing if you keep him indoors.

I wouldn't bother with taming, as stated above, a couple of days without training and he's back to his 'wilder' self.

What you could do is play (youtube) video's or recordings of canaries and see houw your parrots respond to that. They might try to copy it if they hear it enough.

If you do get a canary... I only give grit once a week and depending on how big you're going to let his flight be you might give him some eggfood once a week too. But only if he flies around a lot. I strongly suggest not letting him out of the cage. They do pick up some speed and in unfamiliar surroundings could kill themselves flying headfirst into a wall/window.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:11 pm 
Banned
Banned

How exactly would they return to their wilder self I mean what is meant by that because obviously if its tame it knows it can trust you so it cant change go back to oh no these scary hands fly away.Anyway I decided not to get one as maybe one day I will have another parrot.And for now ill just try my best to teach Rocko some tunes or at least talking which Mango is already learning.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:23 pm 
Budgie
Budgie

Name: Bob
Gave happy chirps: 140 times
Got happy chirps: 52 times
Brandon's-Fids wrote:
How exactly would they return to their wilder self I mean what is meant by that because obviously if its tame it knows it can trust you so it cant change go back to oh no these scary hands fly away.Anyway I decided not to get one as maybe one day I will have another parrot.And for now ill just try my best to teach Rocko some tunes or at least talking which Mango is already learning.

They forget the training first. If you wait longer to interact with them they forget the trust you built up. If you wait too long they will be avoiding your hands again.

They do tend to build up trust faster if you didn't scare them or anything once they are 'tamed'. Although I haven't gone to the point to teach them anything other than to remain calm when I'm in the flight or handling stuff in the cages.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:24 pm 
Banned
Banned

So they must have very short memories

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]