Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Sun Conures?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:27 pm 
Banned
Banned

Name: Brandon
Gave happy chirps: 28 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
So I have always loved those Colourful Sun Conures and was thinking instead of keeping one of the baby Cockatiels to get a Sun conure instead, A hand reared one that could possibly share a large flight cage with Mango.But what I was thinking I could do is bring Mango back to the bird jungle to meet the Sun conure and see if they like each other.Also the Sun conure would most likely get along with Cracker since they are both conures and I really think it would get along with Mango since they are similar size and that is why I would like to test it first before actually buying one so then if they don't get along I wont get it.There is a Hand reared Sun conure in the Bird Jungle I believe it has to be around 2-3 years old since it has its full adult plumage and I don't know if they have any babies as I have not been there in a while.I would like your opinions on my idea.And I will do my research on them now.

:sunny: :sunonback:

Post subject: Re: Sun Conures?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:11 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
I don't have any experience with sun conures but there's someone here who does! B can tell you about his experience.

It remains to be seen whether you'll actually have any cockatiel babies or not, but if you do have them they will keep you very busy for a while. So it might be best to deal with that first, and make the decision on what to do about a sun conure later.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:55 pm 
Banned
Banned

Well they wont have any Sun babies until around Summer they said wrong season for Sun conures.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:33 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
I doubt a sun conure will be able to get along with a plum head. They are completely different species. Sun conures have very strong beaks and won't be afraid to mark their territory. My sun conure is very sweet and gentle, but can bite very hard if I try to put the flight suit on (I stopped the flight suit). Other than that, they are very sweet and pretty birds with a load of personality. They can also have seperation anxiety and can bond to one person. My sun conure loves me the most and goes crazy if someone else that he hasn't seen before touch him. He likes to scream for me but when I go into the room he likes to whisper. It's really sweet. They are very cuddly too.

Rio isn't loud because I had him when he was a baby without him being exposed to adult sunnies. It does quiet their volume in the long run.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:56 am 
Banned
Banned

If I did get one it would be a baby so could it grow up around Mango and get used to him.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:21 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: Erik
Gave happy chirps: 113 times
I don't know much about Sun Conures either, but I can tell you that conures have a VERY strong bite, and even if they grew up together, if they had a fight, your Plum head could be seriously hurt. Also, it would be nice to take into consideration what Carolyn said: you should wait to see if you're gonna have any baby tiels, because they're gonna be a lot of work. I'm not telling you to do this, but if I were to make the choice to get another bird, I'd get one that is the size of my plum, and be equal in a fight.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:28 am 
Banned
Banned

Thats what I said of course id wait until the babies are gone and the Sun conures wouldn't be born until near summer.Mango also has a large beak and strong too and he is around the same size.If they got along they would have no reason to fight lol.I have also considered a Green cheek conure.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:35 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
If anything, I would think it better to either house him with another plum head, or a similar species like an IRN or a mustache parakeet.

Though I'm not sure if IRNs are ok with other species, mustache parakeets are apparently known to be pretty laid back. Problem is, they're really rare to come by in captivity.
(They're also known as derbyan parakeets)

Speaking of related species though, when I went to get Alex, there was a female IRN in the same room with Alex. I did NOT expect them to be that small. I can see why you thought Mango wasn't full grown, because they do not look as big as they do in pictures.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:42 am 
Banned
Banned

True they look huge.IRN are the same size as Mango and will even get along with Cockatiels.I have also considered a IRN too and I have also considered not getting another bird and just letting Rocko and Loki keep one of their Sons or Daughters because I think once Mango is tame we are just gonna have lots of fun that I wont want another.Parakeets are really nice.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:50 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
They are nice. :)

I actually just went through a list of species under the genus "Psittacula". You would be surprised on how many actually look similar to plum heads. One of them included the blossom headed parakeet, which looks like a plum head, but with a lighter colored face. People seem to get them confused too, since I saw a bunch of plum head pictures when looking up pictures of blossom heads.

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next