Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Female Parrots?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:56 pm 
Banned
Banned

Name: Brandon
Gave happy chirps: 28 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
Do Female Parrots need more calcium than Males? Reason I ask is because Loki and Tiko both have a head twitching thing going on like anytime I talk to Loki her head twitches and so is Tiko and Tiko does have a calcium deficiency and her beak is chipped because of it so we are getting calcium and vitamin D supplements for her.I read head twitching means they have low calcium is this true? or is there another reason for it like why Loki does it when u talk to her.Loki has done this since we got her and I never thought anything of it I thought it meant she didn't like what i was saying.And I never buy cuttlebones anymore because they never get used and if I do grate them I always forget about it.Also if breeding season has anything to do with calcium African greys breeding season was in Winter and they moult now and Tiko is also moulting.

Post subject: Re: Female Parrots?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
As far as I know, head twitching doesn't have anything to do with calcium. It's probably because your voice is a little bit loud or the pitch of it is slightly annoying. Sometimes my birds do this and sometimes they don't.

A hen needs a lot more calcium if she's laying eggs. But as far as I know, her needs are fairly similar to a male the rest of the time.

Post subject: Re: Female Parrots?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:10 pm 
Banned
Banned

Name: Brandon
Gave happy chirps: 28 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
tielfan wrote:
As far as I know, head twitching doesn't have anything to do with calcium. It's probably because your voice is a little bit loud or the pitch of it is slightly annoying. Sometimes my birds do this and sometimes they don't.

A hen needs a lot more calcium if she's laying eggs. But as far as I know, her needs are fairly similar to a male the rest of the time.

I always talk calmly to my birds.My mam was singing Tiko's favourite song when she was twitching and she was dancing for a while too and its a calm song.Are they the only reasons for head twitching Loki does it every single time anyone talks to her.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]