It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:58 am

Page 2 of 3 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: problems with Cuddles
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:43 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
so, problems like egg-bound don't happen from just stress, but need to have more reasons, mostly calcium deficiency?

She looks sad and I feel bad for her.

In general, I don't know what to do. I feel bad for all my birds, especially for all the children, because none of them have a chance to live complete life with me (because they will not be allowed to breed)

If I had just Trillie and Cuddles, I would probably allow them to have more chicks (their chicks are cute and healthy) with plans to rehome the chicks this time...

Do you Carolyn separate all your breeding pairs from the rest of the flock?

if you were in my situation, what would you do? I have 3 pairs of the children who like each other and mate occasionally but don't lay eggs, and 2 cinnamon girls who don't seem to be interested yet. I feel responsibility to keep Cuddles and Trillie as they went thru rehoming at least once. and I don't feel I would have guts to get rid of the children unless something dramatic happens (say we have to live on streets because of some kind of disaster, or we get totally broke with no money for food)
Of course, I have personal ties with some of my birds (not with all of them though) that would make rehoming them difficult.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:40 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Gave happy chirps: 15 times
Got happy chirps: 74 times
I definitely empathize. You may have seen my post about Emma making a beeline to the top of the bookcase in the dining room when her flights started coming back. This is kind of like the top of you refrigerator, but even higher. I spent a lot of time yesterday looking for things I could put on top of the bookcase to discourage her. I ended up piling books there, almost up to the ceiling. They flew out there and looked very confused.

Then, she and Silver went to the adjacent bookcase, which is not quite high. I ended up putting gallon bottles of water up there. I had a lot of the around the house due to us having some water outages at unpredictable time. That bookcase is about 6' high, with 18" left to the ceiling. I think the water bottles will help, as I really don't think they can perch on them.

I'm going to take them in for a clipping, but I want to wait to be sure all the feathers have grown back first.

Would it work to turn the boxes on top of your refrigerator around, so the open part is facing the back wall?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:36 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

no, they would come inside thru the side "wall". For now, I removed them at all.
Ha, talking about books. My birds are shredding a pile of books on the bookcase.
Thanks Dianne.
I think birds should have a right for their happiness, and restricting them makes me feel bad.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Stress is never a good thing but I wouldn't expect the lack of a nestbox to cause egg binding.

I do separate my breeders from the rest of the flock when they're breeding. The non-breeding birds want nestboxes too, and if I try to keep everyone in the same room the non-breeders will constantly try to figure out how they can get into the nestboxes. It's not good for anyone, and it's simpler to just put the breeders in a different room.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:29 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

do you place all breeding pairs in the same room, or each pair has its own room (that's hard to imagine LOL)

A question about our male children: can they be split to cinnamon or pearl like their father? Some of them have pattern that reminds me Trillie - a lot of discolored patches on the light colored grey back. I guess they are ghost pearls on Trillie, can they be ghost pearls on his male children?
Were ghost pearls real pearls (looking like pearls) in the past or not necessary?

the girls who are not cinnamons or pearl are rather dark and they look like twins (even though from different clutches)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't remember what color your birds are. But if dad is split to some sex-linked mutations, his sons can also be split to those mutations. If mom is visual for any sex-linked mutations, her sons will definitely be split to those mutations.

I put all my breeding pairs in the same area. There's a little bit of trouble with them going into the 'wrong' cage, put mostly they stick to their own.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:42 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Trillie on the left. Cuddles appears just pied.
The girl children: 2 cinnamon pied girls, one cinnamon pearl girl, two dark pied girls (really dark, like mom).
Boy children: some look like Trillie, some look pied but definitely not as dark as their pied sisters. Their coloring is rather light-grey.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:45 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Trillie is on the right here

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Trillie must be split to cinnamon and pearl. So the boys can be split to one or both of these mutations, just as the girls can be visual for one or both of these mutations.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:43 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

thank you.
How am I supposed to know if she laid her second egg, or she decided not to lay at all... or if she is not egg bound? she is due this evening, I was gone to the school concert, I don't see any eggs around but who knows.

Page 2 of 3 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next