Post subject: Re: The end of egg watch
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:06 pm 
Budgie
Budgie

Name: Bob
Gave happy chirps: 140 times
Got happy chirps: 52 times
tielfan wrote:
Is this his first clutch? Some birds are slow learners and it takes several clutches for them to figure out how to do it right. Maybe he'll be a better sitter next time around.

My first two eggs are in the process of hatching. I can see the external pip and hear the chicks peeping in the egg, and when I candle the eggs I can see the baby's head in the air cell. I couldn't see dark eyes in one of the eggs so I think that chick might be a lutino. I'll know for sure when it hatches.

Yes it is his first clutch. I'm hoping he's a fast learner. We'll see.

Can't wait to see some fotage of your egg watch! :bloby:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Both eggs have hatched now. No lutinos though. I just didn't catch the head at the right angle to see the eye color when I was candling the egg.

There probably won't be any hatch footage. I mostly leave the nestbox alone while eggs are hatching, and check briefly once every few hours to see what's going on. So I've never seen a chick actually come out of the egg. But with the second chick that hatched today, it must have hatched just before I looked. The down was very wet and the chick was wearing a piece of eggshell on its head like a hat! I was tempted to take a picture of that, but thought it was better for the chick to just take the eggshell off without delay and let the parents go back to doing their job.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:53 am 
Budgie
Budgie

tielfan wrote:
Both eggs have hatched now. No lutinos though. I just didn't catch the head at the right angle to see the eye color when I was candling the egg.

There probably won't be any hatch footage. I mostly leave the nestbox alone while eggs are hatching, and check briefly once every few hours to see what's going on. So I've never seen a chick actually come out of the egg. But with the second chick that hatched today, it must have hatched just before I looked. The down was very wet and the chick was wearing a piece of eggshell on its head like a hat! I was tempted to take a picture of that, but thought it was better for the chick to just take the eggshell off without delay and let the parents go back to doing their job.

I only look at my nestboxes once a day, twice is an exception.

I have been thinking about putting a go pro in a nestbox. But I'm afraid the blinking red ligt might scare the parents. I might try it when the chicks are a bit bigger and the weather is warmer.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:16 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you put it in, you'll need to watch carefully at first to make sure the parents are still willing to enter the nest. Since you have birds entering the empty nestboxes, you could try putting it in one of those at first to see how they react to it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:41 pm 
Budgie
Budgie

tielfan wrote:
If you put it in, you'll need to watch carefully at first to make sure the parents are still willing to enter the nest. Since you have birds entering the empty nestboxes, you could try putting it in one of those at first to see how they react to it.

I was going to try it today, but the empty box I had in mind was well defended by Iago. So I didn't try it afterall, she may be about to lay some eggs. I don't think I'll put it in the wooden box. It would only record a whole lot of nothing :-)

Last edited by Bjornlefevre on Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:42 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm up to seven chicks hatched now. Both of Teela's and Azazels babies are whiteface, which is nice. They're only expected to produce 25% whiteface babies but so far their lifetime total is 3 out of 5.

Shodu and Buster are supposed to produce 50% whiteface babies, and one of the two chicks hatched so far this year is whiteface. But their lifetime total is only 30% whiteface so they're way below average. It's nice to have a pair that's beating the odds. Too bad they probably won't keep going at that rate.

Page 2 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2