It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:55 am

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: 4 cockatiel chicks AND COUNTING!!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:31 pm 
Budgie
Budgie

Name: Bob
Gave happy chirps: 140 times
Got happy chirps: 52 times
Pumba and Babel got me worried at first. 10 eggs!! I was thinking about removing some after candling, but as I checked the nestbox that day 2 chicks were there! so :clap: for them! I'll wait it out and see how it goes. At the very worst I'll have to revert to handfeeding some if they all hatch and that's not really a bad thing now is it?

Timon and Iago have finally gotten around to laying some eggs after I've seen them at it. 3 eggs so far, but 3rd only came today, so I'm expecting more.

Ed and Shenzy (who are brother and sister, born out of Babel and Pumba) also have 5 eggs together, and 1 chick. I'm kind of troubled by the matchup the previous owner allowed, but haven't found it in my heart to break them up. I would have to put one of them with the budgies (or the canaries if I keep the doors closed after breeding season) to break them up and they'd still be able to see eachother. So I would be worried they start gnawing away to get back together. Unless I put one with the bugdies and the other with the canaries, but then there's the neighbours to think about. Since I imagine Ed would scream for his mate and Shenzy would reply... So all chicks will have to go for certain. Enough inbreeding here as it is!

Statler is also a dad. But I don't know for sure who mom is. I'm mixing up mrs Tiggy and Marina now and again, I'm ashamed to admit. After molting they started looking alike imo... I'm hoping to do a nestbox check with mom in there, but I've only found Statler so far biting away!! 1 chick from 5 eggs, I hope for more to hatch!
My mother swears she saw it come out of the egg and thought it was dead right after. I told her to leave it alone and that it only seemed that way. Turns out I was right!

HAve to go ... so I'll keep next line short:

4 eggs in the rebooted nestbox, might be more coming.
4 eggs in the last nestbox that has eggs.

I have seen the eggless 2 nestboxes visited now and again... And that confuses me, since I only have 6 couples and a spare hen. You think there's a bigamy macho cockatiel out there amongst them? Or what are they doing looking for in the other nestboxes?

Last message: one of my zebrafinch hens went in Statlers nestbox and dropped her egg amongs the cockatiel eggs. Funny!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: 4 cockatiel chicks AND COUNTING!!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:55 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Gave happy chirps: 15 times
Got happy chirps: 74 times
Congratulations! :loveshower100:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:16 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Congratulations! If Pumba and Babel have too many eggs, you can give some of them to a pair that doesn't have enough. It's a bit late for this clutch since eggs are already hatching, but one way to deal with the brother/sister pair is to give them someone else's eggs to raise and not let their eggs hatch.

When you switch eggs around, it's important to make sure that the new eggs aren't going to hatch at a time that's later than what the foster parents are expecting. If they're expecting their eggs to hatch in a week and you give them eggs that are due to hatch in two weeks, they might abandon the clutch when it fails to hatch on time.

They might be looking at the extra nestboxes because they want to start a second clutch before the first one has left the nest, and they're looking for a good place to do it! It seems like a lot of tiels would rather start a new nest in a different place than lay eggs in a nest that's full of older chicks.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:49 pm 
Budgie
Budgie

tielfan wrote:
Congratulations!

Thank you!

tielfan wrote:
If Pumba and Babel have too many eggs, you can give some of them to a pair that doesn't have enough. It's a bit late for this clutch since eggs are already hatching, but one way to deal with the brother/sister pair is to give them someone else's eggs to raise and not let their eggs hatch.

When you switch eggs around, it's important to make sure that the new eggs aren't going to hatch at a time that's later than what the foster parents are expecting. If they're expecting their eggs to hatch in a week and you give them eggs that are due to hatch in two weeks, they might abandon the clutch when it fails to hatch on time.

Well, since most of the eggs were laid around the same periode as others were it would have been possible... But as you say, it might be a bit late to do it this time around...
I'll keep it in mind for next clutch.
If I would have it my way I'd sell Ed off, but I took him in with his group, so I don't want to separate them, leaving me to deal with his incestuous relationship. :D

tielfan wrote:
They might be looking at the extra nestboxes because they want to start a second clutch before the first one has left the nest, and they're looking for a good place to do it! It seems like a lot of tiels would rather start a new nest in a different place than lay eggs in a nest that's full of older chicks.

This is actually good news. Well I mean I want to switch the cardboard versions out with more wooden boxes I'm going to be putting together soon, so that would be a good opportunity to do it (after the chicks have left the nest) wouldn't you say?

Thx Tielfan! You're a big help and a darn good moderator/forum owner!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:04 am 
Budgie
Budgie

Bjornlefevre wrote:
Pumba and Babel got me worried at first. 10 eggs!! I was thinking about removing some after candling, but as I checked the nestbox that day 2 chicks were there! so :clap: for them! I'll wait it out and see how it goes. At the very worst I'll have to revert to handfeeding some if they all hatch and that's not really a bad thing now is it?

Timon and Iago have finally gotten around to laying some eggs after I've seen them at it. 3 eggs so far, but 3rd only came today, so I'm expecting more.

Ed and Shenzy (who are brother and sister, born out of Babel and Pumba) also have 5 eggs together, and 1 chick. I'm kind of troubled by the matchup the previous owner allowed, but haven't found it in my heart to break them up. I would have to put one of them with the budgies (or the canaries if I keep the doors closed after breeding season) to break them up and they'd still be able to see eachother. So I would be worried they start gnawing away to get back together. Unless I put one with the bugdies and the other with the canaries, but then there's the neighbours to think about. Since I imagine Ed would scream for his mate and Shenzy would reply... So all chicks will have to go for certain. Enough inbreeding here as it is!

Statler is also a dad. But I don't know for sure who mom is. I'm mixing up mrs Tiggy and Marina now and again, I'm ashamed to admit. After molting they started looking alike imo... I'm hoping to do a nestbox check with mom in there, but I've only found Statler so far biting away!! 1 chick from 5 eggs, I hope for more to hatch!
My mother swears she saw it come out of the egg and thought it was dead right after. I told her to leave it alone and that it only seemed that way. Turns out I was right!

HAve to go ... so I'll keep next line short:

4 eggs in the rebooted nestbox, might be more coming.
4 eggs in the last nestbox that has eggs.

I have seen the eggless 2 nestboxes visited now and again... And that confuses me, since I only have 6 couples and a spare hen. You think there's a bigamy macho cockatiel out there amongst them? Or what are they doing looking for in the other nestboxes?

Last message: one of my zebrafinch hens went in Statlers nestbox and dropped her egg amongs the cockatiel eggs. Funny!

Number one:

AFter being home all day and watching my birds for the most part I'm baffled.

I thought Timon and Iago were a pair (was told so when I adopted them) and that cockatiels bond for life (could be a mistake on my part)... I never see Iago closer to the nestbox than sitting on a 'perch' near it. The Swedish Chef however goes in and broods when Timon comes out. Now the breeder I got the Swedish Chef from was SURE he'd be a male. Clearly he was mistaken. All pearls are still there, not faded a little! AND Timon ditched Iago for her! :yikes:
I've put up my camera again hoping to catch them coming in and out of the nestbox for you guys to see... expect an update soon.

Number two:
Statler isn't doing a good job at brooding, nor is his mate. I found the chick that was born today cold and a new one next to it, also Ice cold. I've taken them both into my hands to warm them and the eldest came back to life somewhat. I've put him/her in with fosterparents Babel and Pumba hoping they will feed him and keep him warmer. I wonder if the three other eggs that are still in the nestbox will hatch at all. The smaller chick didn't move at all. I think it's dead. :cry:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:53 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I find that cockatiels don't know how many chicks they're supposed to have and they can't tell the difference between their own chicks and someone else's. If you put a chick in with a pair that has chicks of a similar age, they'll take care of the new one as if it was their own.

Chilling is bad for babies, and even if you manage to warm them up and revive them it's possible that their digestion might be slow for a while afterwards. So keep an eye on this little one to see if he's digesting his food and growing OK. If it looks like there's a problem, this TC post has links that might help: http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=27514 It's probably helpful that you've put him with foster parents instead of handfeeding. The adults will pass some of their digestive juices to him along with the food which will help him process it.

Cockatiels don't always mate for life. Sometimes they pair up with whatever's available to them, but switch to a new mate when someone better comes along. They're sort of like humans - birdie divorce and birdie adultery do happen sometimes!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:59 am 
Budgie
Budgie

tielfan wrote:
I find that cockatiels don't know how many chicks they're supposed to have and they can't tell the difference between their own chicks and someone else's. If you put a chick in with a pair that has chicks of a similar age, they'll take care of the new one as if it was their own.

Chilling is bad for babies, and even if you manage to warm them up and revive them it's possible that their digestion might be slow for a while afterwards. So keep an eye on this little one to see if he's digesting his food and growing OK. If it looks like there's a problem, this TC post has links that might help: http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=27514 It's probably helpful that you've put him with foster parents instead of handfeeding. The adults will pass some of their digestive juices to him along with the food which will help him process it.

I checked up on the chick but I think I moved him too late. He was already too weak and passed away. :cry:

I'll read up on that website anyway. All knowledge is welcome and I tend to forget a lot anyway :-)

tielfan wrote:
Cockatiels don't always mate for life. Sometimes they pair up with whatever's available to them, but switch to a new mate when someone better comes along. They're sort of like humans - birdie divorce and birdie adultery do happen sometimes!

I have some footage I'll put up later where you can see 3 of them in the same nestbox brooding! I didn't know they shared nestboxes at all!! It feels rather uncommon...

If I get around to it tonight I'm going to upload the video's on youtube. I'll post the upload in the cockatiel cam section I've got going on.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:58 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's not unusual for cockatiels to form a threesome or even a foursome. At this very moment I've got a threesome of two hens and a cock (Mims, Snowy and Vlad) sharing a nestbox.

Several years ago I was given a foursome of three cocks and a hen (Pip, Elvis, Azazel and Ladybug) along with five babies still in the nest. The three males were raising the chicks while Ladybug loafed. I was told that all three males had mated with her for this clutch. For the next clutch she decided that she only wanted Pip to be her mate, and wouldn't let the others help.

Elvis still wants to have a threesome with Pip and Ladybug, but Azazel moved on and has sort of a threesome with Squeebis and Teela. Squeebis and Teela are brother and sister and I won't let them make babies together. But if I keep Squeebis away for a few weeks, Teela and Azazel will have babies together. I think Squeebis is really her preferred mate.

Some pairs just won't tolerate a third bird. But for the ones that do, I can see how it would help in the wild. When you've got two cocks and a hen, you've got three adults collecting food and protecting the nest, which would improve the survival rate of the chicks. When you've got two hens and a cock, you only have three adults foraging for two clutches. But there are so many chicks that it probably increases the number that fledge.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:09 pm 
Budgie
Budgie

tielfan wrote:
It's not unusual for cockatiels to form a threesome or even a foursome. At this very moment I've got a threesome of two hens and a cock (Mims, Snowy and Vlad) sharing a nestbox.

Several years ago I was given a foursome of three cocks and a hen (Pip, Elvis, Azazel and Ladybug) along with five babies still in the nest. The three males were raising the chicks while Ladybug loafed. I was told that all three males had mated with her for this clutch. For the next clutch she decided that she only wanted Pip to be her mate, and wouldn't let the others help.

Elvis still wants to have a threesome with Pip and Ladybug, but Azazel moved on and has sort of a threesome with Squeebis and Teela. Squeebis and Teela are brother and sister and I won't let them make babies together. But if I keep Squeebis away for a few weeks, Teela and Azazel will have babies together. I think Squeebis is really her preferred mate.

Some pairs just won't tolerate a third bird. But for the ones that do, I can see how it would help in the wild. When you've got two cocks and a hen, you've got three adults collecting food and protecting the nest, which would improve the survival rate of the chicks. When you've got two hens and a cock, you only have three adults foraging for two clutches. But there are so many chicks that it probably increases the number that fledge.

You actually answered a question I put up in the video section here! I didn't know this! I can see how it would benefit the birds though!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:10 pm 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
Bjornlefevre wrote:
tielfan wrote:

You actually answered a question I put up in the video section here! I didn't know this! I can see how it would benefit the birds though!

Whoops. I haven't seen this thread until now. I basically said the same thing lol.

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next