Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Opinions needed
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:58 am 
Finch
Finch

Name: Janey
Gave happy chirps: 28 times
Got happy chirps: 7 times
I would like everybody's thoughts please.
when I had Rocky & Tuffy (a girl), they had no artificial lights above their cage. Tuffy only laid one egg in the entire 12+ years that I had her. they lived on opposite wall from my deck doors. they got uncovered in the morning when I got up and were covered at sunset. they only had whatever sunlight that was in my apartment.
Sweet Pea and Bebe have artificial light above their cages. Sweet Pea presented me with another egg this AM. her light has been reduced to 2 hours from 9 - 11 AM and 2 more hours from 5 to 7pm. her last prior egg was April 29, 2017 and has been laying off and on since January of this year. The 7 dummy eggs are back in her nest box and nest box is in her cage. she will not sit on eggs that are on the floor with grate or without grate, in a concave coffee saucer or flat folded up paper towels. believe me, I have tried every which way until two weeks from the past Saturday, to keep the nest box out of her cage.

here are my thoughts: remove all artificial light from the cage area, take the whole she-bang down and out of sight. go back to only what light comes thru the windows and they get covered at sundown, period. both cages covers are dark (Sweet Pea's is black king size sheet with dark navy blue full size sheet over the front of the cage.) there is tiny space, less then 1" width, that is open that a 5 watt night light is plug in below and to the side of her cage. in the evenings, because they are both in my living room I watch TV and have less then 50 watt bulb on. but with the amount of darkness in her cage. (I can't see thru it myself), it should not bother her, hopefully.
I would like your thoughts on this. 16 days is not enough of a rest from all this egg laying. I am planning on running this by both my vets also. your thoughts please ??????

Post subject: Re: Opinions needed
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:05 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
As far as I know, artificial light doesn't increase hormone levels when it's used appropriately. Some birds are just more motivated to lay eggs than others.

If the cage covers prevent the light from getting through, then watching TV in the same room shouldn't be a problem. The birds will hear you of course, but it's the process of light physically entering their eye that sends the message about whether it's a good time of year to breed.

How long do you leave the cover on? If you give them at least 12 hours of uninterrupted darkness every night, that will usually be enough to tell them that it's the wrong time of year to breed.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:13 am 
Finch
Finch

most often it is 12 + hours.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's harder to get the hormone levels down when they're already laying eggs, but hopefully it will kick in soon.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:02 am 
Finch
Finch

the egg laying has gotten out of hand this year. 20+ eggs since January 1st. after talking both vets Dr. Tony & Dr. Barb several times, doing my own research, both online and in several books, from the clinic. Sweet Pea is going to get light therapy for the next several days to weeks. this is no guarantee that egg laying will stop but it's the last resort that I can try to give her a chance to break the cycle for a while.
3 days ago, she moved to the darker side of the living room, the first day she had her nest box with dummy eggs. she was going to bed at sun down and because her cage cover is black with another cover that is deep navy. she was not uncovered until 9:30- 9:45 AM. the 2nd day, no box just her dummy eggs on couple sheets of paper towels. 3rd day, no eggs. this AM I moved the light source over to beside her cage, replace the light bulb from 60W to 100W. the timer is set for 22 hours of light, above her cage. this light therapy will be for 2 possibly 3 days, with no cover on her cage. of course I am going to get up several times to check on her from the kitchen, to make sure she is safe. before I go to bed myself, she going to get some forging treats, to keep her busy looking around for things to do. after those 2 to 3 days, the light will be reduced to 21-20-19- etc, etc, day by day, until we are back to 10 hour day. I will keep you all posted if this works, fingers crossed.
all I can do is try it and pray that it works. she is too small for implant because that has been discussed with both vets. I am most worried about the night time, she has never been left with her cage uncovered. and I am afraid she will be scared.
this is stressful for both of us. me, thinking that she could get egg bound, it's all those eggs and what it is doing to her body. her, being constantly on those eggs, not eating any more then what she can wolf down, at the same time as taking large poop about once a day.
@tielfan the link in your article about increasing the light come back error 404 HPPT.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:23 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

She should be OK if the lights are on. The problems at night arise when it's dark and the birds see or hear things that make them think a predator might be nearby. They can't see well in the dark so they freak out just in case there's a problem. When the lights are on it's similar to daytime conditions. They can see well and are much less likely to be frightened.

Good luck, I hope this works!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:47 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: Dee
Gave happy chirps: 45 times
Got happy chirps: 20 times
Hopefully you can get the problem under control, I know how frustrating it can be :(

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]