Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Cashew trying to hump Cheerio
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:32 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
The regurgitating stopped...but it was replaced with Cashew constantly trying to hump Cheerio. It will usually happen when Cheerio is snuggling with me. Cheerio is lay flat, and Cashew would see him as an easy target. Cheerio always runs off with him. Cashew can usually stand on 5 seconds, but Cheerio will not let him mate. They are both boys.

Post subject: Re: Cashew trying to hump Cheerio
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Cashew sure grew up fast, didn't he? Sometimes a bird's body position makes another bird think that they're giving the "do me" signal.

I have a problem with Henry trying to hump recent fledglings. The way they stand is different from the older birds, sort of hunched down trying to look inconspicous, and Henry takes it as an invitation. He stops bothering them when they're old to stand up straighter.

Post subject: Re: Cashew trying to hump Cheerio
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:57 pm 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
I think it's Cashew's hormone stage. He is starting his molt now, and he's been pretty moody like when Cheerio was his age. I know he'll grow out of it, but I always get scared when they fly away and want nothing to do with me. Humping only happens when they cuddle in a nest-like position with me. I'll limit that because it triggers Cheerio to lash out at me for no reason.

Aren't lovebirds just great birds? I wonder why people recommend them for beginners. I don't think that's very accurate because they can be oh so moody. I love it though!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]