Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Pics of my bugdies
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:44 pm 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
Really cute budgies! Makes me want one of those cute spunky puff balls of cuteness.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:07 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
They're funny to watch Baruch. Maybe you can get some English budgies. They are much more laid back than American budgies, like mine. Although Poppy is part English, and he is much more calmer and friendly than all American Beck.

They might work in your aviary.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:34 pm 
Conure
Conure

I actually would love some but i cant handle multiple diets. Then the cockatiels will eat the budgies food and the budgie will starve.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:02 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

Budgies and cockatiels eat the same thing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:07 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Gave happy chirps: 1 time
Got happy chirps: 25 times
Yeah, they pretty much do. They come from the same part of the world and eat seed based diets, so a lot of their diet overlaps. The main difference in the diet is that in the seed mix, there are some larger seeds and sunflower seeds in the cockatiel mix. I mix separate food for the budgies and Coyote (smaller sized pellets with their seeds vs larger sized pellets and 'tiel seeds) but within minutes of me opening their cages, they are in each others cages eating each other's food and water. So, I started making a community out-of-cage bowl where I take my budgie mix and mix it with my 'tiel mix so it's like a super duper mix! And of course they both get the exact same veggies, birdy bread, etc.

Honestly, from my one and only experience with english budgies vs 2 american budgies, the stereotype is true. Waffles is waaaay more calm than Ninja and Cloud. However, they are NOT lovey dovey type birds like 'tiels, at least not normally. And they won't talk or do any of those funny tricks you see on youtube unless you have a single (most likely male) budgie.

In my experience though, them not being tame is not an issue. I get my lovies from Coyote and I get my laughs from the budgies because they really are fun to watch. I don't know if owning a single budgie who could talk and do tricks and all that would be as entertaining as watching the three of them squabble and try to one up one another and so on.

They don't get along with Coyote. He doesn't really get along with them. They are totally fine if he never existed, but he heart wings and sings to them, but hisses and lunges if they get near him while he's eating or focused on something important, like chewing on a piece of straw or something. He definitely wants to be part of the crew, but on his own terms and they just look at him as some big weirdo to try to avoid and/or harass or trick so they can eat his food or steal his toy.

It's only been a few weeks since they've all been allowed to mingle though, so who knows how their relationships will evolve.

Anyways, all that to say that I am happy I got them even though what I really wanted (and didn't know at the time) was a cockatiel. That's the type of pet bird I wanted personality wise but I was attracted to how pretty the budgies were and all the videos of these super tame budgies online.

It would be relatively simple, easy and low-cost to get a cage and a single male budgie for an in-room pet and if that didn't work out, I think it would probably work out fine to put him in the aviary. I'm not sure if there would be issues with breeding though, if that's happening in the aviary and there are budgies around... I've read that can cause problems.

I mean, not to feed your crazy bird person habit or anything, ahem.

Oh, and trust me, the cockatiels would not make the budgie starve. It would be the other way around because while they seem much dumber in some aspects in respect to a cockatiel, they are much smarter in others and quicker. And they know it. If they want that food or toy, they'll get that food or toy. Even my gentle fluff ball Waffles is like that. They're kind of jerks, but funny jerks!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:58 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
This has been a really enjoyable thread to read...
beautiful pics of your budgies....
Ive only the 1 Bryni, but soon to have a companion for him.. Bryni loves the tiels, he also eats the same seed as them.. I do buy a smaller budgie seed, the other birds eat this as well. All my birds P'lets, budgie, tiel, love the large parrot seed and nut mix... also the one with dried fruit...
I think most birds will eat any type of seed.
All mine have pots of different seeds in their cages...How do you tell a baby budgies sex? Can you tell me please?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:28 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Gave happy chirps: 1 time
Got happy chirps: 25 times
Jan, budgies can sometimes be sorta easy to sex even as small babies, depending on their mutation. It has to do with the color of their cere, young hens will usually have white-ish ceres with a blue-ish tinge sometimes and boys will have a darkish pinkish purple-ish sorta looking cere. It's easier to tell with pics.

There are some folks at talkbudgies.com that are really good at guessing (and usually being correct) at sexing a budgie that is even just barely weaned. My Cloud was very young when I got her and even though her cere looked blue-ish to me and the pet store clerk told me she was a male, the people at talkbudgies told me she was a girl and lo and behold, they were right! If you can get pics of the chicks before you decide on one, you can post them and we an try to determine sex if you want. Especially because some mutations follow different rules for color of cere in baby-hood.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:39 am 
Quaker
Quaker

I believe I am one of those people. However, I just don't go on TalkBudgies. They have more rules than TC and the other "Talk" groups, and I don't care for them.

If you can post a picture I might be able to see for you. That's how I picked Poppy, the only cock in his clutch of 4 sisters.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:03 pm 
Conure
Conure

I just checked those rules out, and oh lord...its sooooo long and pointless. http://talkbudgies.com/rules.php

Page 2 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next