Page 3 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Pics of my bugdies
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:27 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
The signature regulations alone make me not post there. I can't even express myself.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:41 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Gave happy chirps: 1 time
Got happy chirps: 25 times
Yeah, there's a definite dogpile-on-the-newbie who doesn't feed their budgies a perfect diet of organic only greens and the most expensive pellet variety out there, etc or what have you. Not to say everyone does that, but it is something that happens a lot and everyone just looks away and lets it happen. I will say, though, that I found it helpful when I first got Cloud and Ninja because I honestly did learn a lot. I'm an oldish lady though, so I'm wise enough to decipher what info to take to heart and what to throw out.

No way would I post there half of what I post here though. I'd be worried about getting dogpiled, which is a bummer because there are a lot of great, knowledgeable and kind folks there.

My favorite area is the mutation thread though. It's cool to see the pic of the budgie in question and see all the people-in-the-know say what mutations the budgie has even if it's just a tiny thing!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
What a gorgeous flock you have! I don't think I saw them when I delivered Coyote. I love budgies, a budgie was my first bird and they were the only bird I had until circa 1988, when an escaped cockatiel flew into the neighbors' yard and they gave her to me. I'd like to have a budgie now but I already have too many birds.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:15 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Gave happy chirps: 1 time
Got happy chirps: 25 times
Yes, I had them already setup in the back room so my birds possible germs wouldn't get to your baby birds when you brought them over. Plus, they're turds and would have been all ACK ACK ACK ACK ACK ACK and it would have been annoying.

Thank you for the compliments! As you can see, I am partial to the blue/violet spectrum of budgie colors. I especially love Ninja's yellow face. I sometimes think about what kind of babies Cloud could have with either Ninja or Waffles (which would never happen because just no, if i'm gonna do baby birds it will be with cockatiels and also, Cloud just isn't into these boys and these boys just aren't into her, they're into each other).

Anywho, with all their mutations, I'd have to go back to the calculator, but I could have some straight up beautiful baby budgies. I'm 99% sure Cloud is single factor dominant pied and also recessive pied, due to her eyes (one is all black, one has a dark grey iris). She's also opaline, which I'm partial to, and cobalt. If she paired up with Ninja, they'd have some yellowface pied babies, probably all cobalt, some with his single violet factor and I'm not sure if they would be opaline, since he is not opaline. I might get some double factor dom pied since he has a tick mark on the back of his head, showing a possible split to dom pied.

If she had babies with Waffles, I think they'd be all opaline (since he is too) and some violets... some would be dom pied and they'd have that half english half american budgie look. No greywing for the babies though, I'm pretty sure you need two genes for that but since Cloud shows so few markings, who knows what she's got going on besides the obvious pied/opaline thing.

Anywho, who knows. Maybe if someone I know reeaaally wants a very pretty baby budgie who was raised right, I might see what would happen if I added a nest box. I wonder if I'd end up with half Ninja babies and half Waffle babies? ha

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:50 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
Cloudy skies wrote:
Jan, budgies can sometimes be sorta easy to sex even as small babies, depending on their mutation. It has to do with the color of their cere, young hens will usually have white-ish ceres with a blue-ish tinge sometimes and boys will have a darkish pinkish purple-ish sorta looking cere. It's easier to tell with pics.

There are some folks at talkbudgies.com that are really good at guessing (and usually being correct) at sexing a budgie that is even just barely weaned. My Cloud was very young when I got her and even though her cere looked blue-ish to me and the pet store clerk told me she was a male, the people at talkbudgies told me she was a girl and lo and behold, they were right! If you can get pics of the chicks before you decide on one, you can post them and we an try to determine sex if you want. Especially because some mutations follow different rules for color of cere in baby-hood.

:thanks: Will see what I can do....

Page 3 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3