Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: "I am the mighty eagle!"
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:53 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
So lately, Lucy has started climbing up the playstand all by herself. She still has trouble climbing around it and getting to other parts of it, but she's at least liking it.

At one point, she climbed on the left part and onto the highest part of the playstand, and decided to spread her wings.
Not sure why she decided to do this. Usually they both spread their wings when they see something that freaks them out, but she seemed rather calm compared to other situations where she spreads her wings like that. Guess she either wanted to stretch, or she wanted to look bigger than she is. :lol:

Also, her primary flights have for the most part grown out, but she still needs to finish molting. No idea why, but out of all the birds I've had, she is one of the slowest molters I've ever had.

Post subject: Re: "I am the mighty eagle!"
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Slow molting seems to run in the family. Not all of her siblings are slow molters but some of them definitely are. Squeebis finally got his adult coloring when he was 15 months old. They're supposed to get it when they're 6 months old. Henry had a couple of striped feathers on his rump until he was two.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:12 pm 
Banned
Banned

Name: Brandon
Gave happy chirps: 28 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
Mine sometimes spread their wings when they wanna be misted

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:15 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

She did start at 6 months, but it's been somewhat on-and-off like. She's 9 months and just began molting out tail feathers. Granted, the location her cage was originally in caused for her to have a bit of a wonky solar schedule, being the room is in the middle of the house and one of the most busy rooms. Even with the light of that room off, the lights in the next room would be bright enough for them to not quite recognize it as "night time".

The room their cage is now in is actually capable of being dark now, and with there being windows they should be capable of recognizing dawn and dusk now (there are three windows, and the door has windows on it as well), so that should fix the problem. I could have probably ended up stopping the molt midway though. Though Alex began to molt as well, and considering he's too young for that, I feel it might be better. I'd like for Alex to molt when he's around the age to have a juvenile molt.

Plus, now Joey can stop cooing at 2 am when I'm still up doing homework. :lol:

Neither Lucy nor Alex like being misted. Instead, they like to get into still water and splash around. They seem to prefer whatever makes the bigger mess. :lol:
The closest I have to a bird that likes misting is Dudley, who likes having the water flung at him by hand. Not sure why that's so different from misting for him. He'll still bathe in his water bowl regardless if we do it to him regularly.
Because fresh drinking water is OBVIOUSLY meant for bathing. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:33 pm 
Banned
Banned

Homework dont even mention that word lol im glad to be out of school for a week

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:54 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Gave happy chirps: 15 times
Got happy chirps: 74 times
Lucy is a beautiful bird. She looks a lot like my Emma, who also likes to do big eagles.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:18 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Water flung by hand has bigger droplets than a mister. Maybe you could find a spray bottle that does coarser drops.

Water dish = bathtub is not as bad as when water dish = toilet. Vlad likes to sleep over the water dish at night and makes a huge mess of it, and he never flushes lol.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:24 am 
Banned
Banned

Loki sometimes sleeps on bowls too including the pellet bowl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:14 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

The mist bottle actually has a pretty coarse spray. It's quite possible he doesn't like the intensity(?) it sprays at.

Alex uses the water dish for both a bath tub and a toilet. You have no idea how often I have to change it because of this. :lol:
I did find out that Lucy likes having the water poured directly onto her when she's bathing.The first time I gave her something to bathe in, I used a cup to pour more water in it. She went right under it and shook her wings. Of course, it's impossible for me to get a picture or video, because half the time she will decide she's done once she sees the camera.

Diane, your comment just reminded me of this video:
phpBB [video]

I just love the pose that bird gets into. :lol: My birds lean forward with their wings, but that one leans back a bit. I wonder if that's just a quirk of his, or a learned behavior?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:32 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Leaning forward or hanging downward is more common than leaning back. That's why it's often called 'bat wings'. I love the leaning-back look though!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]