PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:02 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: Dee
Gave happy chirps: 45 times
Got happy chirps: 20 times
tielfan wrote:
Quote:
I'd love POW babies. They are so uncommon.

The uncommonness is both a blessing and a curse, and I'm afraid that it might be hard to sell them. It would take some hunting to find a female that isn't closely related to Dweezil, because his breeder is usually the only one with POWs at the bird marts. Dweeze is friendly and has a great personality but apparently this is kind of exceptional. Princess parrots in general are considered to be more of an aviary bird, with less pet quality than a lot of other species. So I'm not sure that the chicks would even make good pets.

They're relatively common here in the UK along with rosellas. A lot of people have them as aviary birds and the only people who have them as companions seem to be non-bird people who haven't done their research. They expect too much of them then and it's quite sad because they end up passed around so they can have a more hands on bird. I find kakarikis are also better as aviary birds, though they are curious enough to hang out with you haha

Post subject: Re: Meeko is way too stinkin cute
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:14 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
They say that the big cockatoos give the worst bites in the parrot family, even though their beaks aren't nearly as big as the large macaws. It's because they don't just bite, they also grind their beaks against what they're biting.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:40 pm 
Previous owner
Previous owner

Name: Melissa
Gave happy chirps: 142 times
Got happy chirps: 69 times
Beautiful

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:59 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Thank you :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:04 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

tielfan wrote:
They say that the big cockatoos give the worst bites in the parrot family, even though their beaks aren't nearly as big as the large macaws. It's because they don't just bite, they also grind their beaks against what they're biting.

I think the shape of the beak has something to do with it too. Macaws definitely don't feel nice, but their upper mandible overlaps the lower much more than cockatoos do. Theirs are more... how to put it... like pincers? Think like a bugs mandible haha. It's like the sharp tips connect, the lower mandible isn't as blunt as a macaw. I remember telling my father in law don't stroke Malibu on his front, he'll offer you his head if he wants attention. What does he do? Goes straight in there to stroke his front like he would with my hawk. What does Malibu do? Grabs him right between the bones on the top of his hand and his palm! It's over quickly but you certainly heard it. The white cockatoos all have bad beaks whereas corellas (I know they're white too haha), galah etc. have dainty big cockatiel beaks and they're not half as bad. Jack will beg to differ. Our friends galah had an obsession with Jack's neck and face and would fly over to him to pinch him :rofl:

Page 2 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2