Page 2 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: It's that time of year
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Heh, well her tail isn't SUPPOSED to be curly! Baby cockatiels are notorious for breaking their tail feathers, and when I got her all she had was stumps. Shodu shredded the stumps for her, for a nice "chicken butt" effect. Mims has a lovely long tail now that she's all grown up but I still like that picture.

I know what you mean about the surprises. Shodu is whiteface. Buster is normal grey, and when I got him they told me he was split whiteface. So when they started making babies I expected to get normal grey chicks and whiteface grey chicks. What I actually got was normal grey, lutino, cinnamon, whiteface cinnamon, and whiteface lutino. I still haven't gotten any whiteface greys, but Shodu laid her first egg of the year today so maybe I'll have some in a few weeks!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:31 pm 
Egg
Egg

Gave happy chirps: 0 time
Got happy chirps: 0 time
tielfan wrote:
Heh, well her tail isn't SUPPOSED to be curly! Baby cockatiels are notorious for breaking their tail feathers, and when I got her all she had was stumps. Shodu shredded the stumps for her, for a nice "chicken butt" effect. Mims has a lovely long tail now that she's all grown up but I still like that picture.

I know what you mean about the surprises. Shodu is whiteface. Buster is normal grey, and when I got him they told me he was split whiteface. So when they started making babies I expected to get normal grey chicks and whiteface grey chicks. What I actually got was normal grey, lutino, cinnamon, whiteface cinnamon, and whiteface lutino. I still haven't gotten any whiteface greys, but Shodu laid her first egg of the year today so maybe I'll have some in a few weeks!

My cockatiel breaks her tail off all the time, do you know how to stop her from doing it or is it now a big deal?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:41 am 
Previous owner
Previous owner

Name: Melissa
Gave happy chirps: 142 times
Got happy chirps: 69 times
i think andrew has one of these birds he named pink in japanese. im not sure tho :shrug:
do you got pics of ur breeders?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Quote:
My cockatiel breaks her tail off all the time, do you know how to stop her from doing it or is it now a big deal?

How old is she? If she's young then she'll probably stop breaking it when she becomes older and less clumsy. If she's mature and still breaking her tail, then you need to take a look at what she's doing to break it and then try to eliminate the situations that are causing tail damage.

Squeebis just turned a year old, and for a couple of months now his tail has been getting rattier and rattier. There's only one tail feather that still has more than half of its original length. He's never done a whole lot of molting and still has a lot of his baby coloration, but I'm sure that sooner or later he'll molt and grow a respectable tail.

Here's a picture of Andrew's rosey bourke:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:45 am 
Previous owner
Previous owner

Name: Melissa
Gave happy chirps: 142 times
Got happy chirps: 69 times
tielfan wrote:
Quote:

How old is she? If she's young then she'll probably stop breaking it when she becomes older and less clumsy. If she's mature and still breaking her tail, then you need to take a look at what she's doing to break it and then try to eliminate the situations that are causing tail damage.

Squeebis just turned a year old, and for a couple of months now his tail has been getting rattier and rattier. There's only one tail feather that still has more than half of its original length. He's never done a whole lot of molting and still has a lot of his baby coloration, but I'm sure that sooner or later he'll molt and grow a respectable tail.

Here's a picture of Andrew's rosey bourke:

thanks tielsfan. i heard there pretty quiet

Page 2 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2