Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: The story of my boys
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:10 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
Everyone has a story, and they don't have to be human to have one. True, it may not be as exciting, but I still feel entitled to give one to my boys since they can't really type and any attempt to turns into them stealing keys.

Beaker
I adopted Beaker from a young woman who inherited him. She was incredibly frightened of him because he was a lunger. She only had him 5 days and didn't let him out because she was scared he would attack her or her small dogs, who she claimed were afraid of him too. I found her ad in a newspaper offering him for $60. I called and asked to see him. She drove to our house with his very, very small cage. Like this:
When he came over, I let him look around since the car ride scared him and he was fine within 5 minutes. I took him out of that appalling cage and he lunged. The woman freaked out and I just insisted he step up. He stepped up fine with no problems. Just a little hissy. But he always hisses. Happy, mad, playful, you name it. He's got a hiss for everything. She was amazed that I wasn't afraid of him and he was mine. Now 2 years later he is still here with me, still my grumpy boy and still hissy. I love it. He is very independent and would rather not be touched or fussed over, but does love attention and will heartwing with pleasure.

Jaid
Unlike B, Jaid doesn't have much of a story. I went to The Bird Shop with my dad and he was in a hand-fed bin of tiels. I love lutinos, so I was drawn to him first. He stepped up and I talked to him and put him back. I guess my dad liked him too, and my birthday was coming up, so I came back to his house one day and there he was. Jaid always wants out and loves to play and be fussed over. He learned to whistle from me and was my cuddler. He grew out of those as he reached older cockhood. He still loves to be held and I even flight trained him with kisses as rewards, his most favorite thing of all. He is more adventurous and people friendly than Beaker and likes violating B's copyrights songs, much to B's displeasure.

Beck
The original Specky. It started as Beck, Becky, Sparky to Specky. That was the series of nicknames he went though until Specky stuck. He is almost never called Beck to his face. I just say "Hi Speck", so I'm pretty sure he thinks his name is Specky. I just adopted it into a name for all small birds. Names aside, when I went to get Beck, I went to PetSmart in search of a new budgie since my previous one passed away from a prolapse. They all looked very healthy, so I waited for one to jump out at me. They all just kind of did nothing special budgie things, until I saw Beck take on a large wooden toy that was frightening the others, this one to be exact:
I loved the way he looked, and he looked healthy and active so I decided on him. When I took him home to put him into his new cage, he flew out of the box into my hand I was using as a mitt to catch him. He just sat in it and looked around. After 3 years of adjusting, only now will he fly back into his cage without me catching him. He doesn't like to be touched at all, but he isn't afraid of me after 3 years. I can change his food and toys around with him in the cage and he won't budge, but keeps an eye on me. He is a very passive budgie, considering that most are aggressive towards other birds. He really wants to be in a flock with Beaker and Jaid, but surprisingly, the tiels are the aggressive ones. Beck is very passive and persistent. Unfortunately, he can't be out with them since he annoys them to the point where they snap at him. But, while it lasted, it was cute to see an innocent budgie on the back of a bucking cockatiel.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The story of my boys
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:00 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Barbara
Gave happy chirps: 494 times
Got happy chirps: 115 times
They do have great stories to tell! I knew a little bit about Jaid, but I never thought that Beaker was an adoption. For some reason I was sure that he came to you as a baby.
And I had no idea that he's such a badass! I must confess that I have a tendre for bad boy birdies :D
Did you have experience with birds before getting Beaker? It seems like you knew exactly how to get to him.

Ever thought of getting a companion for Beck? Maybe if he had a sidekick he wouldn't let the laughing boys bully him
:bloby: :bloby: :nono: :blobg: :blobg:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Lovely stories, and sometimes tiels do dominate the budgies instead of the other way around. Beck wasn't trying to mate with them was he? Maybe he would have stayed on their backs better if he used the saddle.

I have to admit that I like the naughty boys too. That's why I love Henry so much. I kept him because I figured he was too much of a brat for anyone else to want him.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:32 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
Yes, I had a budgie (my first, the one who died of a uncontrollable prolapse) and my masked lovebird Teak. Jail Bird, or JB, was my first bird, and I didn't know it wasn't the best at the time, so I got her from Petco. Teak was a severely neglected rescue. Nothing those crazy birds did could scare me, so a little lunging is cake. Macaws play that nasty trick on you when you are least expecting it too. And don't think I didn't try getting a buddy for Beck. I tried with 2 other budgies, but they both just walked all over him and the second one, my hen Mackenzie, forced him to mate with her and after 4 months of hormone control and separation to get her under control, none of it worked. One day, he refused to get on her back and she impaled his neck with her beak. Her whole face was splattered with blood and Beck was terrified of her after that. I re-homed her to a organization that takes in testy birds and rehabilitates them to work with children and adults with Autism. Oh yes, and Beck was fine too. It was a small wound I solved myself with tons of special care.

And no, Beck was getting fed up that the tiel kept running away from him so he just started flying onto their backs to get their attention. It was pretty hilarious.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:20 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
Wow lovely stories about your flock...
Everyone seems to have tales about their birds.
Its all very interesting...
Thank you for sharing, its very nice to hear.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]