Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: What not to bring on a canoe trip
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:41 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Barbara
Gave happy chirps: 494 times
Got happy chirps: 115 times
This is a photo.... but also a very funny story if you want to read it.
Needless to say, the writer lady is bonkers and we all know that what she did was crazy :crazy:

If you want to read the story this is the link

http://www.nightowlbynature.com/2011/05/i-own-bird.html

I am sure we are all aware that you should never do what she did, but Tielfan if you think it's inappropriate please hit me with the Vladinator and delete the link :duck:

Post subject: Re: What not to bring on a canoe trip
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:16 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
This isn't one of those boards where stories like this are banned. It was a crazy dangerous thing the writer did of course, but the whole point of the story was to say 'don't do this'. Just in case somebody who doesn't know any better is reading: it's dangerous to take an unrestrained bird outside whether canoeing is involved or not. A cage or harness will help keep your baby from accidentally getting lost.

This is also a "don't try this trick at home" story, but I have personal experience with floating cockatiels - they spread their wings out to help keep them afloat. We used to have a hen who enjoyed 'swimming'. We'd put water in the bathtub and put her in it, and she'd make a small flapping motion with her wings to swim across the tub.

This might be something that they do in the wild. I saw a documentary once where a flock of wild budgies intentionally landed on the surface of a pond to get a drink, with their wings spread out to help them float just like Spike used to do. Predators tend to hang around water holes waiting for lunch to show up, and landing on the water instead of the ground helps keep the birds safe. The narrator said that the only danger was if one bird landed on top of another, the one on the bottom might drown. When they were done drinking they flew up out of the water without any trouble at all.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:28 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Barbara
Gave happy chirps: 494 times
Got happy chirps: 115 times
tielfan wrote:
they spread their wings out to help keep them afloat. We used to have a hen who enjoyed 'swimming'. We'd put water in the bathtub and put her in it, and she'd make a small flapping motion with her wings to swim across the tub.

wow I had no idea that they could swim, in a way or another. I would love to see one doing it, but I doubt any of mines would be so adventurous... maybe some of them would... of course I will not force them :twisted:

I have to say, the part of the story that shocked me the most was that Loki was clipped. Clipped, in the wild??? She's a really lucky woman to get to get him back home in one piece
I think her swollen ear was caused by him biting her all night :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:35 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
LOL... on first reading this I thought it was a joke!
Wouldn't everyone realise a pet bird, would need a cage, harness, or something to keep them safe, and why would anyone want to take a bird on this type of holiday?
I guess the answer, is a very young inexperienced person... lets hope its a lesson to anyone thinking along these lines.
Must be a tough little tiel, to get to 19 years old.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]